History of double solid yellow line

Please note my post was correcting the factually incorrect assertion that a solid white line means don’t cross in the US. It does not mean don’t cross. It’s put there to help you on your way. Like, you know, guidance. In California, anyway.

It’s nice that the point is raised to round out the discussion and all but you’ll recall the OP asks about double solid yellow lines. I thought it worth noting that, at least in California, the lines could be yellow, white, purple, or hazelnut, and they’d all be just as illegal to cross.

Please do find me a section of the California Vehicle Code that confirms your assertion about solid white lines not being crossed under penalty of citation. You will have to except any failure to obey traffic sign tickets since I raised that in my original post.

Great. If the lines were not doubled, and no sign prevented it, it would be perfectly legally to cross them at your leisure and convenience. In California, anyway.

So, as usual, California has a set of rules that differs from the much of the rest of the U.S. That was why I noted “usually” in the declaration regarding a solid white line.

::: shrug ::: OK

The single yellow line is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no passing in the double yellow line zone.

Listen buddy, don’t give me your double yellow line shit again!

:smiley: