Hoarders Season Finale

1. They do offer after-care, which some of them accept and some reject.

2. They did a “catch up” episode awhile ago. If I remember correctly, they visited the worst cases and little progress had been made. However they did go to the worst and most memorable ones.

By the way, the update episode was Season 2, episode 15 if you are wondering.

What’s the difference between a pet rat and a “nasty-ass sewer rat?” Are there domesticated breeds?

I didn’t see the rat episode but of all the other episodes they’ve had where the people hoarded animals, the rabbits seemed to be the healthiest. I don’t recall even seeing any rabbit carcasses, which you often see on cat hoarder shows (er, cat carcass not rabbit).

Thought you’d like to know that the rabbits seem to have all turned out ok.

FWIW the town the rabbit guy lives in is about 10 miles from here.

Degree of adorableness, basically. See, e.g., here and here.

Seriously, I don’t know to what extent there are differences in breed; I just meant that the original rats in this guy’s collection were pets, and most of their multiplicitous descendants still seemed to be largely tame and friendly, and living off his rat chow as opposed to whatever diseased debris and offal that wild rats eat.

Yes.

Also, wild rats are usually just brown while domestic rats come in a wide range of colors and coat markings.

That’s good to know, thanks. :slight_smile:

I totally felt sorry for the rat guy. He clearly really loved his rats, was doing his best to care for them.

The cat lady, though? God save me from self-righteous, totally selfish, whiny, fuck-everyone-else drama queens like her!

I thought the same thing but then realized they at least had someone willing to rent their place.

That sums up my feelings pretty well, too. The cat lady was just a trainwreck.

And now so will I.

Pet rats are the same species as wild brown rats, the most common rat species, so think of it as the difference between a pet dog and a feral dog. A pet rat has - or at least should have - grown up in clean surroundings, with its cagemates and the human family it lives with as its “colony”, so its health and behavior is very different from that of a wild rat. Pet rats enjoy the company of humans and are curious and unexpectedly intelligent.

There are not distinct breeds of rats as there are with dogs, but there are variations in appearance. Wild brown rats are mostly, well, brown. Different shades of brown, but still brown.

Yeah, at the point, I was kind of wondering if he wouldn’t just end up bulldozing the place (after they took out all his beloved rats, of course).

I got the impression that she thought they were going to come take everything out, sterilize the place, and then putting it all back in, instead of just throwing it out altogether.

They did mention that she took her cats to some undisclosed location in a shopping cart. Which begged the question of, how can you pile 40 cats in a shopping cart? If they’re anything like my cat (and from what they showed, they seemed far wilder) they’d all be clawing and trying to jump out, especially once you get the thing rolling.

I too am surprised the owners didn’t evict them, even after they cleaned the place out. And I wondered just how well they were able to clean it, anyway. I mean, the floors were literally covered in rabbit shit, and I can’t imagine that stuff comes out of carpets easily, especially if you’ve been walking all over it.

Dried rabbit shit is actually mostly just finely-ground hay; dried-up poop pellets will pretty much crumble when touched. So a whole, whole lot of vacuuming followed by a deep carpet cleaning would probably take care of it. The urine can be nasty-smelling if it’s been sitting around, but vinegar seems to break it down nicely, and if that doesn’t do it, a spritz of some kind of Oxy-Clean-style cleanser does it.

I’d much rather deal with rabbit crap than cat crap.

1. They seemed like decent people who wanted to help.

2. The house is destroyed to a point that only those losers with the bunnies would pay to live in it.

3. Evicting is awfully hard to do. The paperwork and legal red tape would probably be expensive and take a long time.

4. Lesson learned? Renting out your home is a total pain and attracts losers. Not always, but frequently.

Uh, I don’t want to offend anyone with my post above. Not all renters are losers, but renting out your home can really lead to attracting some shifty characters. Heck, my wife and I rented for 2 years when we came back from China to the US.

The house we are now in(we own) was rented out for awhile before we bought it. The dude kept his large dog locked up in the basement for days on end and let it crap and pee down there. The owners had to do a ton of work to clean it up and get the smell out(they did, successfully).

Anyway, I"m sure those people were very nice that were renting out.

I’m sorry, the image of forty cats in a shopping cart has me laughing like a drain. I’m imagining a woman whistling while pushing a shopping cart filled to the brim with hissing, spitting, snarling, fighting cats and not noticing anything strange. Perhaps talking to them. Maybe with some kind of mesh cage over the top to keep them all contained.

Yeah, I can imagine one call you don’t want to get as the owner of a rental property is “Hello, we’re calling from the television ‘Hoarders’ and would like to speak to you about one of your tenants…”

“As I was going to see the rats,
I met a loon with forty cats . . .”

that’s the first time i had to turn the show off. and i have a strong stomach! :eek: