Hollywood got it right!

The insanely hilarious “Jerk Off” discussion was one of the most realistic explorations of the engineering mindset - a two hour discussion of something that doesn’t matter in the slightest…with whiteboards. The show not only had a mathematician create the math, they published a paper on it called Optimal Tip-to-Tip Efficiency (a model for male audience stimulation).

Wikipedia says the actual shape of the Columban tonsure is uncertain:

Given that the script for Highlander, which is online, has the Macleods riding out of Glamis Castle (which is in the Lowlands on the east coast of Scotland, just about as far away from the Macleods’ lands in Raasay and Skye as it is possible to get in Scotland), I’m willing to accept that one of the screenwriters had a dim memory of hearing something about Highland clergy having a different tonsure, and decided to, what the hell, give actor Jimmy McKenna a bitchin’ mohawk. Sometimes a mohawk is just a mohawk.

Yes, but “The exact shape of the Irish tonsure is unclear from the early sources, although they agree that the hair was in some way shorn over the head from ear to ear.” There’s no way to get a mohawk out of that.

“In 2003 Daniel McCarthy suggested a triangular shape, with one side between the ears and a vertex towards the front of the head.”

That was from my Wikipedia quote. That sounds like something that could be turned by a Hollywood makeup artist into a mohawk.

I don’t know, to me a mohawk needs the areas above the ears to be shaved. What I’ve heard descibed for Celtic tonsure always seems closer to a classic skinhead Chelsea cut

What bugged me about that scene was, though I know they nixed the fire alarm, how the hell was that room not one massive cloud of smoke? I wouldn’t think you could see shit after using that gear.

::shrug:: It sounds to me like there are no records that unambiguously describe the Columban tonsure. I can’t find the cite, since it’s not online and I’ve misplaced my copy, but Sir Iain Moncreiffe, in The Highland Clans described it as shaven on either side of the head to the top, leaving everything behind the ears to grow long, “to modern eyes, rather a Redskin [sic] look”. That could describe either the side-to-side cut or a mohawk. But he didn’t know for certain, either.

In any case, the producers of Highlander didn’t give their priest a Roman tonsure, which suggests somebody had at least a vague thought about historic accuracy.