Hollywood: Is Anyone "Discovered" Anymore?

Harold Russell, B. Sup Actor for “The Best Years of Our Lives” was not an actor prior to being cast in that film.

Dr. Haing Ngor also won BSA for “The Killing Fields”, also with no acting experience.

Topher Grace, who was the lead in That 70’s Show, was in a play at a New England boarding school. The show’s producers were in attendance because their kid was also at the school and they saw him there.

Despite having no acting experience, cantor David “Dudu” Fisher was so enamored at the London production of the musical Les Miserables that he auditioned for the Israeli production. And got the lead role of Jean Valjean.
He later played the role on Broadway and on the London stage.

The 2011 film Attack the Block had mostly unknown actors in all the roles.

One of the leads, John Boyega, was a stage actor who was local to the production. But he did have an agent at the time, who sent him to audition. I don’t know if that counts so much as “discovered” for this thread. But after Attack the Block he went on to become the lead in the next generation of Star Wars movies. Quite a leap!!

If you are a stage actor, and have an agent, and get sent to an audition, you are not being discovered - unless every actor’s first role counts as a discovery. Breakout role, yes. Remember, there was little risk of him being unprofessional with his background.

You need to give credits to the actors being discovered. Being discovered just means getting looked at. You’ve still got to get through casting and do a good job on the set. I know a kid plucked from school in New York and given a role in a TV series. Not a lead, but his name was in big letters on the credits. He was perfect for the role. Unfortunately he disappeared on set, didn’t know his lines, and got fired after I think three appearances. He got discovered then covered back up again.

Interesting stories! (And, no I don’t count Youtube, and Beiber “quality” is the epitome of exactly I don’t count it. :rolleyes: )

I’ll always remember an actress getting snarky in a review about being “discovered” - she’s been acting 12 years before the leading role in a big budget film that titled her as “introducing.”