Holy crap! That is one large hornet nest.

I also have an English Lake District wasp story featuring oblivious people: my parents own a kayak, which, living not all that far away, we would occasionally take for a paddle on one of the lakes in the aforementioned Lake District. So, one fine summer morning, me and Mum loaded it up on the car, got a picnic ready, and headed off to Coniston Water, to paddle out to one of the islands, eat our sandwiches and things, maybe have a swim, then paddle back.

We’d noticed a couple of wasps while on the water, and had commented on how we’d never noticed wasps that far from land before, but we didn’t really think about it. So we got back to where we’d parked the car (in the sneaky free parking spot), carried the kayak up from the water, and, just as we’re about to put it back on the roof rack Mum says “Oh, did you leave a plastic bag in there?” reaches into the kayak, and pulls out a large occupied wasp nest :eek:

I hope they had a nice day out; they didn’t sting us, they didn’t even pinch any of our lunch.

From what the guy in the video was saying, it sounds like queens. Plural.

When he picked the camera up and took it over to the nest, he was saying, “There’s a bunch of queens.” And this article on the Southern Yellowjacket notes that colonies can have more than one queen, especially in temperate climates where the colony can survive the winter. which surely must have been the case with this colony. That nest and all of those wasps must surely have taken longer than a single summer to produce.