Homebrewing Beer

This is a very good resource.

On the topic of cider, I’ve only made one batch. It started with unpasteurized juice straight from the orchard and it turned out sour. I think that was because we didn’t do anything about the wild yeast (no boiling, no K-meta, nothing). Putting some honey in the glass before pouring the cider in makes it drinkable, so it wasn’t a total loss.

Actually it’s probably just that you fermented out all the sugar and the natural tartness from the apples is all that’s left. Lots of folks backsweeten after primary fermentation to combat this, but it has it’s own problems. If you sweeten with sugar or honey before bottling, you’ll end up with bottle bombs. Some people do just that, then pasturize after a few days to kill the yeast after suitable pressure builds up. Can still explode that way, as one of my local brew buddies found out. 140 degree exploding glass and cider is not so much fun, at least he was outside. :wink:

Others backsweeten with Splenda or Stevia since the yeast can’t ferment those. Can’t stand the taste myself. The best solution is to pasteurize or kill the yeast with a campden tablet, sweeten and then keg. Since you’re not reliant on yeast for carbonation, you don’t have to worry about ongoing fermentation.

A more complicated method is to make cyser, instead of cider (or mead).

4 gallons of apple juice (pasteurized, please…) in the carboy
4 cups of water
4 pounds of honey

Heat the water in a stock pot, add the honey so it is mixed in. Don’t boil it. Purists would say to keep it at 170 for 15 minutes and skim off all of the froth, as they feel the froth is mostly wax and bee legs. If you want to be uber, add a teaspoon each of pectic enzyme and yeast nutrient and turn the heat off. Put a lid on it and let it sit in an ice bath in your sink for a while to cool, then pour it into the apple juice. Once you’re sure the mix is below 80 degrees, pitch your yeast, and ferment/rack/bottle as normal.

First time I made this I ended up with something that tasted like apple juice, and went down about as easy. It was also 13% alcohol. Imagine my surprise when I ended up sloshed to the gills after only having three 12 oz bottles in an hour and a half.