Honda Civic transmission goes out at 29,000 miles! Need advice.

That is probably a typical price for overhauling a modern front wheel drive transmission.

$2500 is cheap for a fwd trans overhaul where I am at. For a Honda I would expect 3K. A Volvo runs 3500-5K depending on model and year (AWD is way more than FWD)

Just one more note, other car makers besides Honda and Toyota stand by their products after the warranty is up. Just yesterday I got two goodwill transmissions approved, an 01 and a 02 both were fairly low miles and in neither case did the factory pay 100%.

It’s a good deal so I would not complain. I have heard of similar cases from various brands where they agree to pay part of the cost if the warranty is no longer valid.

What I think is weird is that cars that cost $100k or more don’t have real long warranties.

People who spend $100k or more on a car have a lot of money, and are most likely not keeping cars beyond 3-5 years. Therefore, a 10 year warranty is unlikely to be a major selling feature. So why would the factory take on the extra liability of a long warranty?

It might improve resale prices, and become a selling feature in that respect, but I doubt the economics would work out in the factory’s favour.

People who buy $100k cars have a lot of money? Wow, that’s news to me!! That explains why the guy who picks up my trash doesn’t drive one.

It would be nice if expensive car companies stood behind their product for a longer time but I guess they sell enough cars without doing that.

You might try reading the rest of that post. Your comment is just a bit out of context.

So, you’re saying it won’t hurt to ask if Ford will fix my 66 Bronco?

:smiley:

It can’t hurt.

It can’t hurt. But they’ll probably not be predisposed to offer you much good will.

Ford does have a goodwill program, though. I don’t recall the exact percentages, and whether there were any model year limitations, but the mileage limit for Lincoln was 75,000 miles, and Ford was either that or 50,000 miles. The point of the program is to have Ford reimburse the dealership for 50% (or so) of the work, the dealership would kick in 30% or so, and the customer would only pay the remaining percentage. It’s intended for things that go seriously wrong (e.g., don’t try to invoke it for your broken PRNDL pointer). Of course, it’s not goodwill in the sense of “help a brother out,” but rather a marketing tool if you want to be cynical. If you’re the original owner (or bought the car still in warranty), and if you’re a customer of the dealer (and preferably the service department), then the company and that specific dealership have a vested interest in retaining you as a customer.

In the case of the OP, he should seriously consider going back to that Honda dealer for his future Honda purchases, rather than complaining about it. The company is offering tremendous goodwill for something that’s not their problem. Of course if he’s still bitter, I can get him a discount on a new Ford!

Well hell. I have an '85 Corvette with a little over 38K miles on it, and I’m currently paying them to do some maintenance on my serpentine and replace my water pump (because the doohickey that the serpentine goes over is wobbly, the serpentine slips off, and all hell breaks loose). Ima gonna call Chevy and ask, nay, demand that they pay up. After all, I’m only the third owner and it’s only got 38K miles on it!

Seriously dude, take the money and run. Cars are made to be driven - if yours sits that much, it’s going to develop problems. You shoulda seen my original tires when I finally got them replaced, 17 years after the car’s original manufacture. I recall the tire guy saying, “Yeah, those weren’t really safe.”

Was it a CVT transmission? My SO had a 1997 Civic. That car went through three transmissions. I’m glad you are getting money for their POS transmission. My SO never attempted to get reimbursed—Man was I pissed when I found out that he had put the last transmission in without telling me. He should have cut his losses. His replacement car is a Toyota which has never had any problems.