Hotdogs and catsup/ketchup. What's the big deal?

Hotdogs are the appropriate venue for ketchup. Anyone that doesn’t know this is an uncultured swine. :wink:

Geez, man, it was a joke! And a pretty funny one, IMO. Cut him some slack already!

Daniel

Uh oh. Let’s fight about this now. Shrimp go with ketchup based things. Cocktail sauce is ketchup based but I will use ketchup and lemon on popcorn shrimp in a pinch . You got the fish sticks right and fried catfish is tradtionally served with ketchup.

And let’s hope your guests appreciate your efforts.

Otherwise, they’re out on their collective asses, right?

I’ve got my duelling sword at the ready.

Things can be ketchup-based, but they are not ketchup. shudder But ketchup and lemon – does that really taste OK? I’d hope that you’d at least have some horseradish on hand.

I don’t know about catfish, because the only times I’ve had it, it was dressed up in fancy ways at fine dining places. The brute force of ketchup would have ruined the more nuanced flavors.

Thank you! Yeah, pretty much why I suggested that he lighten up. Sounds like “Get offended” topped his to-do list today.

In catfish? :confused:

Yes, if there’s any diddling to be done, that needs to happen in private.

Yep. Bold but nuanced.

And gigi, the thought of diddling a lobster is just… ouch.

Apparently Craig Claiborne (a famous Southern chef) thinks the two are inseparable. It sounds icky to me, for the reasons you mention: the best catfish I’ve ever had is best with peppered vinegar (e.g., Tobasco or Texas Pete). And I love me some deep-fried catfish. The best I’ve had was served to me by an African-American professional caterer in Durham, and IIRC, there wasn’t ketchup available to eat with it. Ketchup, with its meaty esters, would make the sweet fish taste like a hot dog.

Which just goes to show that there are all sorts of acceptable cultural variations when it comes to condiments.

Daniel

Hey, he’s a man of the world epicurean.

I think he wrote a treatise on fishsticks.

Thanks for that Dan. Call us when the shuttle lands.

Funnily enough, one of the places I had it was a New Orleans style restaurant. A little oversalted, but otherwise perfect as it was. The thought of ketchup didn’t occur to me, and none was put on the table.

Forget ketchup, I don’t see how anyone could choke down hotdogs that are steamed or boiled. I grew up eating them grilled to a healthy black, and I can’t abide a shiny, pink, wet-looking dog. It might as well be a bologna sandwich.

Are those bright red dyed hot dogs actually good? I’ve been a little frightened of them and their bizarre color.

Chili is pretty much the best topping, but I will default to ketchup and spicy brown mustard for a regular ol’ dog. It works better on the blackened dog; if I had to eat them pink and raw-but-warm, I’d want to dump a condiment cart on top of them too.

Ketchup on fried seafood!? I didn’t realize people did this on purpose. I thought it was a matter of, the fish might touch the puddle of ketchup you’ve got for your fries, and you ate it anyhow. Would one still squeeze lemon onto it beforehand, I wonder?

Oooh, burn.

Daniel

You’ve obviously never been to a d_odds dinner party. My ego always comes first! :cool:

And ketchup on hot dogs is a sin. Says so in the Bible, Koran, and Torah. Homer mentioned it. It’s been handed down in the Scandanavian Eddas. And 3 out of every 4 of the oral histories of the Native American tribes contains a similar reference (one can only assume the 4th tribe was vegetarian). One of the few things they all agree on. Put ketchup on your hot dog and go to Hell (Hel, Hades, etc.) No amount of Hail of Marys will save you.

It also has no place near any fish unless well mixed with a good horseradish and lots of lemon, and then only on shrimp. If you’re going to fry your fish, malt vinegar is first, lemon is second, and tartar is a third (but not together).

I have spoken. Let it be typed, let it be done.

For he is truly the prophet. Let his word be enshrined into law everywhere, so the people may know Virtue.

No, seriously. I mean it.

Well, that’s very fine, but if your guests don’t enjoy themselves, how does your ego fare then?

Just awesome–that’s the great thing about having a big ego!

(There’s a great quote from the show Angel, an exchange between the hero and the villain, something like:

Hero: Those of you that don’t care about other people will never understand those of us that do.
Villain: Yeah, but we don’t care!)

Daniel

Rather, it’s chili sauce, lemon juice, and horseradish.