How bad an idea is this? (Debt-related.)

Our mortgage payments are so low that we couldn’t rent a decent two-bedroom apartment for what we’re paying now. The reason our five-year plan got de-railed was due to the real estate boom here - we can sell for really large bucks, but we can’t afford to buy anything else. Well, that’s what it’s looking like - we’ll know for sure in 2.5 years when we are actually ready to sell and see what’s available then.

Thanks for the info, walrus. No, not too simplistic at all. :wink:

Oh, by the way, we’re not paying a lot into RRSP’s - my husband’s company contributes to both of ours. Our primary focus is debt-consolidation and reduction at this point.

This is essentially what I’ve done, except that I never owned a house.

When I first saw this thread, I was going to say that increasing house debt was a bad idea. But then I saw that you live in Calgary, one of the few places where I suspect house values are good to increase for the next few years (or as long as the oil boom lasts, anyways).

So I think that increasing your lower-interest house debt is probably a tolerable gamble… in your case. Eliminating your high-interest debt is always a good idea, of course, but in other circumstances than Calgary I’d recommend that you pay it off as fast as you can without increasing the debt in your house.