How big is your gilded cage?

I already spend easily 90% of my time within a 2 mile radius of where I live. 99% is within a 5-mile radius. I like the idea of world travel but frankly the older I get the more I like the idea than the prospect. Give me decent shelter within range of a Home Depot and I’ll be happier than a pig in muck.

I would probably say, about 10 acres. If someone would give me access to Amazon and a few crafty websites, plus ebay, I’m be happy inside my house 90% of the time. In fact, I’ve been struggling with the desire to just hermitize myself on days I don’t have to go to work. Not agoraphobia, just no desire to see anyone or go anywhere but my workroom.

The first thing I would do if I came into a huge amount of money would be travel. I’d rather work on making enough money myself to go where I want to rather than be trapped somewhere. Even saying “oh, the northern hemisphere” doesn’t work because I’d be able to visit most of the places I want to, but wouldn’t be able to come back to Australia? And god knows I wouldn’t want to be stuck in the southern hemisphere forever.

I think I thought about this too much.

I’m right there with you, Foggy. I leave the city twice a year to visit family (they’d have to come to me), and I do enjoy the idea of travel, but the truth is that I don’t leave San Francisco enough to make being confined here a problem, particularly if I have enough money to have my dream house. Besides, I can’t imagine a more beautifully gilded cage.

I’ll take “the area to which a Spaniard can travel without a previously-acquired Visa”.

Why, yes, that’s a pretty big chunk of the world :stuck_out_tongue:

I could be fairly happy with just North America, but I would always feel like I was missing things, and well, I would be.

But if the level of wealthy ran to “stupid money” (as my SO and I like to call it), and I was allowed to use it to make sure my friends and family were taken care of, at least to a comfortable level, than I’d do it.

This. I mean if I had to I could do the Hawaiian Islands but that would take a lot of the joy out of being wealthy.

If I can build UP as much as I want, couldn’t I make like a 500 floor skyscraper and live in that? heheh

One skyscraper would suffice. A floor for different restaurants that can cook any food I would ever want on demand. An entire floor for each visitor I invite over (like a series of upward penthouses!).

I’d definitely opt for a nice climate and a strip of land including a stretch of warm oceanfront beach. But really I don’t need to go outside much to be happy.

The smallest area I would agree to? Give me a good size villa in Tuscany with a couple acres for an orchard of olive trees and a very large kitchen garden, I would be happy. (Just don’t look in the secret underground bunker with various labs and workshops. And testing range.)