How Big of a star was Ronald Reagan

I think a better example for Reagan today would be the star or second lead of a mildly popular TV show who does an occasional movie. He was considered a competent leading man, or second lead, but not a star. If he hadn’t gone into politics, he would have been fairly obscure today.

(There was the famous story where some movie executive was told Reagan was running for governor and replied. “No. Jimmy Steward for governor. Reagan for his best friend.”)

This is not to say he wasn’t successful: he made plenty of movies and worked regularly. But he was never a major box office attraction.

How about Alec Baldwin? They were both pretty prolific actors who only had a few memorable movie roles. They were both known primarily for their good looks. They were both politically active. And the highlight of their entertainment careers was when they turned to television roles in middle age (Death Valley Days, 30 Rock).

I know it’s a stretch, but when Baldwin runs for office, remember this post! :wink:

Gipper.

A gaffer is a guy who thinks he’s important because he’s got stuff that’s better than duct tape.

How about the Key Gripper?

I completely forgot about that! Maybe that’s what planted the idea in my mind.

So basically a Reagan was made for generic handsome men, in their late 30s/early 40s type roles. So if you pick a TV star or movie star today with those qualifications you’d be close?

I have heard Reagan do a bunch of Old Time Radio Shows and I will admit he was pretty good. He held his own against Jack Benny and Gracie Allen (and not many movies stars could hold their own against Gracie. Though oddly enough Jane Wyman also did an exellent job comedically against Gracie.)

I realize a lot of things can effect one’s stardom, other than movie roles. (Example ZsaZsa Gabor)