How can glasses from Internet vendors be so cheap? How about quality?

Does it make a huge difference if pupillary distance measurements are off by a tiny amount?

I did the home measurement which probably was less precise than what a professional would get and don’t perceive a problem.

Yep, years ago I got a prescription with a PD measurement and used it for a Zenni.com order (and several orders since). It works fine.

You should ask when you get your Rx for the PD measurement. I got mine off my prescription.

At my current eye doctor they not only give you the PD with a copy of your prescription, they even tell you what it’s for and to use it if you order glasses on line.

Of course they offer glasses and frames in house, along with free adjustments, but clearly they are aware of on-line vendors and that some of their clients are going to them.

Then again, they aren’t a chain, they’re a practice including ophthalmologists as well as optometrists and treat a variety of eye problems, not just refraction errors so maybe they aren’t desperate to extract every penny out of selling “eyewear”.

Mine are–I have two different PD numbers.

How can glasses from Internet vendors be so cheap? Sometimes they do it with shoddy product. NYT reported on an online retailer in 2010 whose business practice involved buying cheap frames from Ebay and flaming his numerous unhappy customers. He was arrested for fraud and sending threatening communications (“You put your hand in fire. Now it’s time to get burned”): he served 3 years in prison. Once released, he set up another online glasses store with similar borderline deranged policies. Back to the Big House he went. He was then released in Nov 2020.

Strangely, another website named something like [I]-glass es Depot has sprung up that is definitely not run by the same guy, but rather by someone named Alex who purchased the business from him. Alex’s last name is crossed out in the business contract sent to the Times. I-yi-yi-glass s Depot appears to have similar customer support/opposition policies.

The one time a ruler wasn’t used for my PD, they had me put on my glasses as I usually wore them, then marked my pupils on the lenses with a felt tip pen. They then measured the spots on the glasses and wiped them clean.

I can tell you mine has never changed in about 30 years.

AFAICT, this doesn’t matter. When I order from Zenni you can enter a PD for each eye or a total. For instance, my PD is 34 in both eyes, so I can enter 34/34 or 68.

I’ve been using Zenni for 10? plus years. My glasses are all similar, rimless, polarized, progressive, transition with the lightest, thinnest silver frames I can find. I must be the luckiest glasses wearer in the world because I have never had so much as a screw come loose. No lenses falling out, no tint peeling off, no frames spontaneously falling apart.

If I do something like hike, bike, play softball or volleyball I have a rubber band type thing that hooks to my earpieces and fits snugly around the back of my head. I think I paid .99 for ten of them several years ago and I’m still using the first one.

Yes, if your pupils are 31/33, you’ll want to enter that - especially if you get progressive trificals, or else the focal point in the low, reader portion of the lens could be out of position for the eye. I had one pair from a brick-and-mortar shop where this measurement was off, and had to send them back to get them remade.

Interesting that multiple review sites give this business relatively favorable ratings.

Such sites have proliferated greatly in recent years. They have in general earned my distrust, as I have no way of knowing their finances or how diligently (if at all) they weed out bogus reviews.

I know this is probably hard to describe but what is that like if just one eye is off? Since we have binocular vision does the other eye try to make up for it? Did your eyes tire out quickly, did you get headaches?

There are a lot of ad-driven half-assed review websites online. I opine that the search engine business is vulnerable to disruption.

The only difference that was apparent was in the reader portion of the trifocal lens, which was obviously displaced a bit. It meant that trying to look down and read, I had to cross one eye a bit more than it would normally cross to read up close, and I had to hold the reading material off-center a bit. I actually had to argue with them that it needed to be corrected. You could see it was off just by looking at the lenses. Looking at their notes, they’d mis-measured the PD and thought my eyes were offset. It only happened that one time.

One time is enough. I read so much, that would have quickly driven me crazy!

I just received new glasses today - only cost about $30 and were bought online on Amazon.

My thoughts are: I’m not sure they actually did the prescription right; things look odd. The lenses are awfully small and the glasses fall right off my face after a few minutes; too loose. They also seem to be plastic, not glass. They’d make a good pair of backup emergency glasses, but I wouldn’t want to wear them everyday.

I would definitely recommend Zenni over something you can order on Amazon.

Isn’t that the standard for most prescriptions now? Plastic is much lighter, and IIUC glass is only needed for certain types of prescriptions. I first bought glasses around 1997 and every pair I’ve bought since then has had plastic lenses.

I got pair of sunglasses from them, and best I ever had–clear vision in sun, not just dark