How clearly can you "hear" songs in your head?

I have an iPod—in my mind

Slight nitpick: It’s “No Me Ames”, which means “Don’t Love Me”. “No Te Ames” would be “Don’t Love Yourself”.

This is a funny example too, cause it’s not in Spanish either. “Aserejé” has a chorus that’s really a phonetic version of what Las Ketchup heard listening to an English rap called “Rapper’s Delight” by the Sugarhill Gang:

Since they don’t speak English, they transcribed what they heard into this:

I’ve always found this to be hilarious, once I realized what it is.

Now, back to the thread: Like Anastasaeon, I can sing pretty much all my J-pop without having the slightest clue what it means. (I’ve got something from Pizzicato Five running through right now). I can also pretty much hear the full orchestration and lyrics and background noises completely faithfully in my head for anything I’ve heard often enough. I usually have some song or other playing inside my head – last week it’s all been merengue, which is rough cause it’s dance music and I’ve not really been in the mood to dance.

Ha! Ignorance has been fought today, good sir. I had no idea. That is pretty funny. :smiley:

Now that I think about it… I managed to phoneticise a phoneticised non-translation? …Forget it. This sentence makes me dizzy.

Yep. And I’ll go ya one better: I hear them in stereo. I almost never listen to music without headphones, and so I can “hear” both tracks. When I “listen” to Let It Be, I hear that faint spoken voice, but only in one ear. In “The Trial” by Pink Floyd, I hear the word “BAAAAAABE!” move throughout space.

When I get some surround sound speakers, I’ll report any further findings.

My memory for music is pretty exact–I can always tell different versions of the same song and artist apart and even the tiniest alteration of correct tempo will drive me wiggy (why no, I do NOT like “house mixes” even a little bit, is my screaming cluing you in?) My major interesting music trick is that about 95% of the times I have a CD playing when I turn off the ignition I will be able to instantly start singing the song when I start the car up, no matter how much time has passed. Sometimes this freaks people out a bit…

Most freakish earworm ever? “Thick as a Brick.” All 47 minutes of it. Several times in a row. Sometimes being a driver is bad–especially if the stereo breaks and the brain is left to entertain itself… :smack: :smack: :smack:

I also have a habit (annoying to my friends) of calling out songs and changing the radio station after hearing less than a second of music I know. It doesn’t matter what it is, if I’ve heard it, I can usually recognize it.

Sometimes I make good impressions by calling out new music after hearing just a second or two of music. Some bands just have a musical “calling card.”

:smack: Of course it is - that’s why I always sing it as “No pee-jammies…” “Don’t love yourself,” eh? Hee.

These days, no better than ‘normal’ people. For most of my life, however, I was able to hear songs as clearly as though I had headphones on; music, voices, background harmonics, the lot. Generally it’d start with one song from a CD I knew and I’d hear the rest of the CD in order after that, but sometimes it’d just loop one song over and over.

I actually learned the lyrics to songs *via *the replay in my head. That’s the clarity we’re talking. (And it’s also interesting from a physiological viewpoint, because it proved to me that more is recorded in our brains than we’re consciously aware of: my mind could replay lyrics I didn’t actually *know *yet. I don’t think it understood the words though - they were just sounds along with the other sounds. And it was definitely operating on two completely separate levels - the ‘broadcast’ bit and the ‘listen; comprehend’ bit.)

Occasionally it was inconvenient though - I remember once when I was working as a receptionist I was under a lot of stress from my boss and the internal radio turned itself wayyyy up. It was hell trying to answer phone calls with the equivalent of a loud stereo right by my ear belting out “I want to be a Hippie”. :smiley:

Then in my mid 20’s I found out that what was being conveyed when I said I had a song in my head and what other people meant wasn’t at all the same thing… and since I had spent more than enough years being considered odd, I deliberately put a stop to it. (For anyone who’s interested, I do that by visualising as many separate things at once as I possibly can. I find that a 3x3 rack of images - mixture of moving and static - will derail any excessive brain activity.)

Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to recreate the effect since - though I’ve come to realise it was actually really cool (if weird) and something I should have enjoyed for what it was worth. :frowning: