How Come the US was Never Invaded? Other than the Wussy Terrorists

I don’t think you invade a country the size of the US. What you might do is use a nearby country as a launching pad…err, hey! how’bout Cuba… from which to achieve other objectives designed to get you a deal.

For a while, the Germans in WW2 had the edge in submarine warfare but by the time the States entered that had largely been negated. One useful tactic for them might have been to blockade the US Navy bases and ports – could have been rather nasty had sonar and other tech developments not given the Allies an edge.

The US navy at the start of WWII was not the largest nor the most powerful navy in the world, not by quite some way.
The British navy was that but it was also spread out over a far greater area a long way from home.

What would Germany have wanted the US for ? - all its strategic aims were in Europe and the near East.

Had Germany overcome Europe early on in the war, there was a strong isolationist tendency in the US and there is a realistic prospect that some sort of deal would have been worked out.

It was not until after the war that the US became pre-eminent in the world so there was not much point, given the likely cost, of taking the US and dividing and weakening military strength when more obvious threat lay far closer to home.After WWII the US was way too powerful.

Here’s a thread about Japanese balloon bombs in WWII among other interesting topics (Holy bat bombs, Batman!).

And here’s another thread about US coastal defences.

Y’all are obviously forgetting the “Red Dawn” Scenario:[ul][]Disguise your air transports as commercial airliners.[]Drop your troops onto the campus of an undefended high school in Colorado.[]Shoot everybody in sight.[]Caveat: Be sure to take out Patrick Swayze at the first opportunity. Do not underestimate him, in spite of the fact that he has been observed wearing knitted leg warmers in TV interviews![/ul]

The Candians have ALREADY invaded. Look at your media types, your Hollywood stars. Pretty soon you’ll all be drinking maple syrup in your coffee and wondering what happened, what it’s all aboot.

Adam yax wrote:

Don’t forget the Japanese balloon bombs. A few hit the US and I think that one causality resulted, I can’t remember, but it has been mentioned on the boards before.

I think I was the one who mentioned it a few months back. But there were six victims – Elsie Mitchell (who was pregnant at the time) and her five children. They were the only Americans killed by enemy action in the (continental) US during WWII.

Rev. Archie Mitchell took his family for a Sunday picnic in the Oregon woods on May 5, 1945. His wife and kids spotted an unusual object on the ground, and when they went to inspect it, it exploded killing them all. The Mitchell Monument, in or near the Fremont National Forest, was erected in their honor.

It has been estimated that the Japanese launched about 9000 incendiary balloon bombs between November 1944 and April 1945 intending to start massive forest fires in the Pacific Northwest.

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by spoke- *
**Y’all are obviously forgetting the “Red Dawn” Scenario:[ul][li]Disguise your air transports as commercial airliners[/ul] **[/li][/QUOTE]

You’re joking, but this is how the invasion of Afghanistan was carried out [sup]1[/sup]: an airliner full of Spetnaz radioed to the tower of the airport of Kabul that it was having mechanical difficulties; when they landed, the soldiers stormed the tower and seized it, whereupon planeload after planeload after planeload of Russian soldiers landed at five minute intervals. Suddenly, there was a division of Russian soldiers in the capital, and within a few hours they’d toppled the government and installed a puppet.

Not that it did them much good, in the end, but that’s another story.

Is it at all plausible that the same trick could be repeated in say, Alaska? Who wants the lower 48 when you can have the oil-rich and sparsely populated tundra that so reminds one of home, and which one did own at one time, after all?

[sup]1[/sup] Secret Armies, James Adams. Out of print.

Actually, the Nazis did invade Amagansett, Long Island and Florida in 1942- so what if each invasion force involved only four saboteurs landed from U-boats. :slight_smile:
See http://www.lihistory.com/7/hs738a.htm

I always heard that Hitler planned to invade England but called off the plans when he lost the air war in 1940 - the Battle of Britain.

In a sense I guess you could call the Southern States invading the North in the Civil War a form of invasion.

This thread brings up an interesting thought I had:
New York City has never been successfully defended against an attack by sea.
The Dutc bought it from he Indians, f course, but they lost New York to the English, who sailed their ships up close and threatened. The Dutch, seeing th opelessness of the situation, capitulated without a shot being fired.

During he Revolutionary War the colonists attempted to hold Manhattan, but again the British Navy sailed up close. This time they bombarded the island. The colonists’ inexperience in building fort walls showed – bottles enbedded in the embankents were shattered and acted as missiles against the defending Americans. Even if the walls HAD been wel-construced, I suspect the numerical superiority of the British and their superior firepower would have decided the issue. The Americans were forced to retreat. They considered burning the city to prevent the British from taking advantage of it, but decided against it. (See “The Battle for Manhattan” by Bruce Bliven.)

After the Revolutionary War the New Yorkers built a LOT of waterside forts – the one on Governor’s Island, the one n Liberty Island (that becam the base of the Statue of Liberty), Fort Tryon in the north, etc. But as far as know, no one else ever tried to invade Nw York, so we don’t know how well they would have worked in combat. You can argue that they were successful deterrents (the British didn’t try to invade during the War of 1812, as far as I know).

sheesh… here in south florida we’ve been invaded every fall by canada for years. :smiley:

on that note, we’re not fooled! we know it was quebec who designed that butterfly ballot!

:::ducks and runs:::

You are correct. During WWII, the Japanese not only invaded the Aleutians, they put a permanent garrison on some of the more remote islands. The US forces decided that the military threat was so small and weather on the islands was so severe that they did not need to send a force to retake the islands, the weather would kill them off soon enough. And that is exactly what happened. They eventually abandoned the garrison.

However, that wasn’t the reason for the AlCan Highway. It was a conduit for supplies headed for Russia.

So let’s see… We have a whole list of invasions. War of 1812, Battle of New Orleans, The Revolutionary War. Let me add two:

The French and Indian War. (1755-60)
The Mexico US war. (1846-48) Remember the Alamo?

Yep, it looks like people have been walking all over us. But mostly it’s people we had just finished walking all over ourselves.

The Canadians, err English, did invade the United States during the border dispute over the San Juan Islands. The “Pig War” began because an American settler of the islands shot the porcine possession of an Englishman. The dispute over the 49-parallel and to which nation the San Juans belonged erupted after that event in 1859.

At that point the British occupied a camp on the northwest side of San Juan Island, while General George Pickett (yup, the guy who led the fateful charge at Gettysburg) led the Americans on the SE corner. General Winfield Scott happily arranged a compromise to end the liklihood of a fight over the islands. The final decision over possession came about 22 years later – probably defered by the British to see if the United States would stand after the American Civil War.

As others have mentioned, the English also invaded the U.S. during the War of 1812. The Beatles did it again during the 1960s.

The Alamo was not a battle fought between the United States and Mexico. It was fought between the revolutionary forces of the soon to exist Republic of Texas and Mexico. Mexico wasn’t invading anything; they were trying to hold onto what was, at the time, theirs.
As for the main question, it is simple. We have not been invaded often because we have only two neighbors, neither of whom has had much reason to invade us. The Poles could wish they were so lucky…

Would be nice to use the Quebecois in Florida as a fifth column. Believe me, I’ve tried, and just no getting them away from their poutine.

In WWII, the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, occupied Attu and (I think) Kiska in the Aleutians, and conquered the Philippines and Guam – all of which were considered US territory. (By the US, at least.)

I can’t believe there are people out there that have never played Axis & Allies.

jaw drops to floor

Hell, I can’t belive there are people who still do. :slight_smile:

“We need more Calgon!”

Technically the Mexican-American War started with an “invasion” of south Texas by Mexican troops, although the circumstances made that claim somewhat dubious.

When Texas was part of Mexico, its southern border was generally considered to be the Nueces River. But after Texas became independent, it claimed the border was actually further south, along the Rio Grande. (Then known as the Rio Norte).

After the U.S. annexed Texas, President Polk demanded that the Mexican troops posted north of the Rio Grande withdraw to the south of the river, which they refused to do, and skirmishes soon broke out. This was enough for President Polk to claim, in a May 11, 1846 speech to Congress, that “Mexico has passed the boundary of the United States, has invaded our territory and shed American blood upon the American soil.” Mexico, of course, claimed that, by moving troops south of the Nueces, it was the U.S. which was invading.

How do you define “invaded?” The Germans had submarines off the coast of North America (and, I believe, up the St. Lawrence River) during World War Two. They were definately torpedoing Canadian ships; I imagine they were hitting Yank ships, too.

In fact, the Canadian Navy just found the remains of one of these U-boats off the east coast of Canada (off Peggy’s Cove.)