How common was "Draw straws to determine who will be eaten" in maritime disasters?

There’s a pretty good Youtube video by Ask A Mortician about the Essex case, that’s worth a watch if you’re interested in some more detail about how the cannibalism went down in that instance.

I remember that time aboard the “Carnival of the Seas”. In retrospect we may have resorted to cannibalism too early, but the elevator had been stuck since 9:30 am, and some of us had skipped breakfast.

And those who hadn’t smelled of bacon.

Where did they get the straws?

Also, as an alternative to kill-and-eat … assuming they had a sharp sword and a sound leather strap, couldn’t they amputate one survivor’s leg below the knee and subsist on that for a few days, then move on to the next person?

A few more literary cites, mostly from Terry Pratchett (@Bill_Door, I know where that name is from)

• Monstrous Regiment described soldiers in an imaginary country called Borogravia where winter forays could be snowed in and there was a “leg rota”. Old soldiers with peg legs.

• Snuff described a famine-related practice that I won’t describe here because it’d be kind of a spoiler. Also mentioned “castaway” scenarios similar to the original question.

Amputations aren’t a clean process. The, ah, donor, would need more extra rations to survive than you’d get from the amputated part.

Ah, you’re no fun anymore. /python

It wasn’t a polar expedition, and I’m not sure how accurate the mention of cannibalism I recall was, but your description reminded me of the shipwreck Batavia.

Agree - it’s grisly, but a fascinating story. I read about it in this book (which is sort of a work of fiction wrapped around real historical events (and one or two legends/myths)

I’m pretty sure this is the book I read. Not only about the wreck, the survivors who stayed, those who trudged to safety, and the painting. A really good example of a type of book I enjoy.

There is no cannibalism in the British Navy. Absolutely none, and when I say none, I mean there is a certain amount.

Strictly as a last resort, when all other measures, such as sodomy, have failed.

Surprised no one has mentioned Cannibalism in the Cars - Wikipedia.

Some of Twain’s best work. (Though I think it’s really more about pompous and procedure-focused government than about the actual cannibalism itself.)

I intended to post this earlier, but forgot. Apart from the three cases of lot-casting mentioned in the Wikipedia page linked above, there are at least two others which I’ve found. They are both mentioned in this (somewhat humorous) podcast about cannibalism at sea.
Note: the humour may not be to everyone’s taste. (so to speak).

The two cases mentioned are the Peggy (which is also mentioned in the book In The Heart of the Sea, by the way), in which one person was killed and eaten after drawing lots; another crewmember was chosen by the same method, but they were rescued before he was consumed. Although he survived, the experience is supposed to have driven him mad.

The other instance mentioned is the Francis Spaight, which seems to have included a number of instances of cannibalism, at least one of which involved lot-casting.

So I stand corrected on this one. It was actually relatively common, it was considered part of custom of the sea. I just listened to episode of the excellent The Constant podcast on this very subject:

The key point about starvation vs dying of thirst thing is that the victims blood can be drunk(as long as you don’t wait for them to die naturally and then for it to coagulate.) It was so common that the British government decided there needed to be a test case to show that it wasn’t in fact a legal defense to excuse killing someone:

Also the podcaster pointed out that while there were plenty of cases of allegedly “drawing lots” (described by the survivors naturally) they all tender to result in the weakest, childless, or for some other reason the one that the crew would want to be the victim, being chosen.

I know that it was a mine cave-in, rather than a maritime disaster, but I doubt we will ever know if Timothy was selected by drawing straws.

For those who might wonder, Queen Victoria eventually pardoned Dudley and Stephens.

It seems to me that joking about drawing straws is infinitely more common than actually doing it.
I’m sure it happened once or twice. Just not nearly as much as people talk about it.
It also seems unlikely to be in a situation where there is plenty of water and not enough food.

This was my opinion before I heard that podcast I linked to above. It was common enough to be considered part of maritime life, and acceptable morally and legally, to the point where the British government decided they needed a test case to show that it was in fact unacceptable legally and still murder.

This was also my objection but the key point is that drinking the victims blood is the thing that will keep you alive with no water. Also waiting for the victim die naturally won’t help you there as the blood will coagulate.

I came across another reference to this in Shackleton’s Endurance expedition. This was from one of the group of men left behind on Elephant Island when Shackleton went sailing off for help.

Fortunately, Shackleton returned before they had to make that decision. All men were saved.