how common were US war crimes in Vietnam

:dubious: Are you calling the “Winter Soldier” witnesses liars?

http://www.johnreilly.info/soro.htm

Sorry, here’s the right link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_Soldier_Investigation#Testimony_from_veterans

Because I asked ‘how common were US war crimes in Vietnam’ not ‘did the viet cong commit more war crimes than the US in the vietnam war’.

More American terror

History does have a way of repeating itself.

Yep, I sure am. And anybody who believes them is a chump.

I think it is you who likes to be misled:

From the link:

Just in this thread 2 posters reported that relatives or teachers that were there said that it did happen, while there is evidence to dismiss some of the winter soldiers, the evidence IMHO points to dismiss reports like the one you linked, it seems that this one is coming from a book; it may be made by a historian, but by referring to a “Naval Criminal Investigative Service” research that was allegedly done and it says that it “demonstrated many winter soldiers were not telling the truth”. The problem is that those allegations are looking more like propaganda to me:

http://mediamatters.org/items/200409030004

In any case, I have seen other reports from other guys that were not at the Winter Soldier hearings, their tales show also that there was more where that came from:

http://www.thememoryhole.org/phoenix/

http://www.thememoryhole.org/unacceptable-target.htm

Based just on what I’ve read in this threads, Polecat, it appears American atrocities in Vietnam have been grossly understated for political purposes, systematically, for decades now. And conversations with a few chance-met Vietnam vets only reinforces that impression.

Following the logic used in that site, one would have to agree that stories of returning veterans being spit upon or otherwise harrassed are simply inventions. After all, a couple of guys did a study that reportedly showed that it was unlikely.

Without actual data (preferably recorded by objective sources at the time, not relying on emotional memories or manipulated by persons with their own agendas to push), I am not sure that we will discover the truth–even if we ever agree on how to recognize the “truth.”

On the other hand, there is no point in making this discussion personal. You have repeatedly posted nasty comments about other posters in this thread that were just barely inside the border of the rules. Cumulatively, however, you have contributed a lot more hostility than information and you are hurting your own cause.

Cool off.

Oh, really now. I will be ever so grateful to see the cites you are doubtless able to provide that recound in undeniable detail just how many 5 year old American children were blown to bits by the VC, or how many fine American wives living in Ohio were raped and then had their brains blown out. The countless atrocities committed against unarmed non-military civillian type of folk living in their own country by the V.C. You know, the Eagle Scout in Norfolk or the waitress in Duluth. Those poor victims, whose senseless deaths justify My Lai and balance the books.

Straw men burn fast in Great Debates…

Cartooniverse

I spent a year in Vietnam as a Marine, February 1969-February 1970, getting two Purple Hearts. I was with Golf company of the 7th Marines. Virtually the entire tour was in the field. During one 6 month period we were in the bush all but a handful of days.

I don’t remember anything that could be called an atrocity except through the most extreme intertpration of the word. We were, it seems in retrospect, assholes a lot of the time. There was a lot of big talking, threats, and boasting; and a whole pile of stories about what some guy said had happened somewhere else.

The prisoners we took were more ignored than mistreated. The wounded were tended to as best the Corpsmen could. Our Kit Carson’s (NVA/VC that had switched sides and acted as scouts for us) were far more likely to beat on them then I ever saw any of us do. I think they (the KC’s) were amazed when they were stopped.

Since returning home I’ve listened to numerous vets (or so they claim) over the years talk about atrocities. I really believe that the bulk of them are just liars who are, in one way or another, trying to make themselves important, worldweary, tragic, put upon, or whatever.

Non of the above (nor what the communists did) does anything to minimize the evil things that did happen. Those that murder and rape should be punished. As mentioned before, the fact that the communists were probably much worse is neither here nor there.

I do believe that American atrocities were over reported for a variety of reasons. The correspondents sought out such stories because they sold. The communists because they served their purposes. The anti-war movement because it made them seem morally superior. The returning vets who opposed the war found that it gave them. . . . . . something.

As to how common they really were is very hard to answer. In my experience, not very.

You present an inadequate understanding of morality and legality. I would argue that it is your moral alegbra that is warped here.

The higher the standards (announced or implied), the greater is the immorality or crime when they are violated, even if they are not violated to the same extent that others with lower standards have done. Furthermore, there is no way, shape, or form in which context or justification can change an immoral or illegal act into a moral or legal one. Context can only justify mitigation of the punishment for the violation, it cannot mitigate the violation itself.

I agree that one must not ignore or downplay the crimes and atrocities of the enemy, yet the seriousness of the atrocities and near-atrocities of those proclaiming higher standards are more worthy of our scorn and approbation.

Nobody needs to “understand why My Lai occurred” to condemn it. It was murder, and murder is contemptible.