How did an American pass himself off as a Duke in Britain?

Hmmm. I’m not sure this beats Admiral Sir Reginald Aylmer Ranfurly Plunkett-Ernle-Erle-Drax, KCB, DSO, JP, DL. Viscount Mandeville has a longer name overall, but that’s just because his parents gave him lots of middle names to make up for depriving him of hyphens. He is also woefully short of silliness and seems to have no alphabet soup.

Sir Plunkett-Ernle-Erle-Drax has no less than THREE hypens, more silliness than some Monty Python episodes, and can even claim to be a Commander of the Bath. The fact that the British Government sent him on a diplomatic mission to meet Molotov and Stalin is just icing on the cake - talk about culture clash.

I’m sure I remember it was used not infrequently in 60s & 70s UK war comics whenever the Germans were attacking! Usually together with the words, ‘Die’ and ‘pigs’

• Englander Schweinhund! *

Toodle pip, old chap!

Ah, maybe it was more common to use Englander, but I’m sure Britisher was used also - possibly just for a change! Or maybe to keep the Scottish, Irish & Welsh readers happy!

You don’t need a title to have a silly name in England: Link

Britischer architekt

Ten points if you can name the car :stuck_out_tongue:

I think both are beaten by Leone Sextus Denys Oswolf Fraudatifilius Tollemache-Tollemache de Orellana Plantagenet Tollemache-Tollemache, and his brother, Lyulph Ydwallo Odin Nestor Egbert Lyonel Toedmag Hugh Erchenwyne Saxon Esa Cromwell Orma Nevill Dysart Plantagenet Tollemache-Tollemache.

Yes, but according to Wikipedia, the person I mentioned isn’t a Victorian-era Brit but instead is a fifteen-year-old kid who lives in California.

No, but the “Britischer architekt” was James Stirling. Can you name the building?

Dammit…I knew I shouldn’t have thrown out my Debrett’s!

Well, you can get pretty reliable information out of Wikipedia, including from this article on Lady Haden-Guest.

The Neue Staatsgalerie in Stuttgart, IIRC.

No idea what the car was.

Correct.

(It’s amusing that neither you nor I can remember the name of the car which the advert was actually promoting. Maybe their advertising agency needs to remember what TV adverts are actually for. The Staatsgalerie probably got more name-recognition from this ad than the people who actually paid for it.)

There’s something very, very odd about the Duke of Manchester having a facebook profile.

But, location aside, he is actually Viscount Manderville, son and heir of the Duke of Manchester. Fair enough, his full name is a little long, but what would be more pretentious in his case – continuing in the naming tradition his father’s family has followed for generations, or saying “The hell with it, we’re in California: call him Rainbow Mooncloud”? :slight_smile:

I like the way it says “Not the right Lord Alexander Montagu Manchester you were looking for? Search more”

How many do you think there are? :smiley:

That actually gave me a good chuckle when it popped up:

Not the Lord Alexander Montagu Manchester you were looking for? :wink:

I remember the car, never heard of the building, but that probably says more about me. The ad was for the Rover 800, and the German guy who chose a Rover over a BMW or Merc was trying to justify his, let’s face it, stupid decision by pointing out that the striking building was also designed in Britain.

What’s even more amazing is that his sister is “Ashley Faith Maxine Nell” I mean, no offense to anyone named Ashley, Faith, Maxine or Nell, but putting them all together makes it sound like you’re intentionally trying for a trailer-park vibe.

I almost wonder if it’s some kind of performance art by the good Viscount.