"How did anyone think that was a good idea?"

That has to be the only time that’s ever happened – the first episode is broadcast, and the second episode is an apology for the first episode. :smiley:

I’m not sure why everyone’s dumping on Coneheads. As far as movies go, it’s OK but not great. For SNL movies I have seen, I would rank it as a 5 with It’s Pat at 0 as the worst and Blues Brothers and Wayne’s World at 10 as the best.

Operation: Spoilsport, though.

Nope, you are plain ol’ objectively, empirically, peer-reviewed EL WRONGO, on that.

That theme, without question, was the most horrendously, viley, stomach-turningly, god-awful, pedestrian piece of diluted wussiness, like, EVAAAARRRR. Holy god.

(to briefly derail) I say empirical, because, well, here:

Look at what’s happened to me
I can’t believe it myself
Suddenly I’m up on top of the world
It should have been somebody else
Believe it or not, I’m walkin’ on air
I never thought I could feel so free-hee-heeeee!!!
Flyin’ away OOOOONNNN a wing and a prayer
Who could it be?
Believe it or not it’s just meeeeeeee…
Just like the light of a new day
It hit me from out of the blue
Breaking me out of the spell I was in
Making all of my wishes come true…

Or you be the judge. Yeah? Feel like punching a wall, yet?

I guess I’ll be the outlier and say I rolled with Adolf quite fine, here. Domestic fascism at its finest.

No love for Manimal / Man From Atlantis?

One of my favourite shows to trash on when I was kid lasted for nine episodes back in '79…SUPERTRAIN!. Truly awesome link.

Maybe the 2nd or 3rd best series from '72 - Me and the Chimp.

[quote=“Dropo, post:80, topic:849380”]

Monkeybone (2001)

[/QUOTE]

I’m pretty convinced they made that whole movie just to include that last line in the trailer.
:stuck_out_tongue:

This thread has been fun, even if it didn’t really hit what I was hoping for - I was looking more for single things that could easily be fixed (in my example, you could just cut out the gunner entirely and do regular ‘spaceship in combat’ scenes. Seeing the ‘whoa that’s bad’ movies and shows is fun though, even if a lot of them seem more like no one realized they were a bad idea until it was too late to change them (like the coneheads movie).

I came here to mention this one. Incredibly uncomfortable to watch.

Here’s a breakdown of everything which went wrong:

There’s a distinction, I think, between offbeat premises that just didn’t work, like Coneheads, as opposed to ideas that were stupid from the get-go (like a Hitler sitcom). If a screenwriter came to me and said, “Hey, let’s make a movie about two stoners who go back in time in a magic phone booth and kidnap Napoleon and Beethoven, so they can pass a history class”, I’d have shot it down as nonsense. Which is why I’m not a millionaire Hollywood producer, because Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure was a funny movie that was positively received by critics, and made a nice chunk of money.

JoJo Rabbit, a movie about a kid with a fanciful imaginary Hitler as his friend, won “Best Picture” in the Academy Awards, Critic’s Choice, Golden Derby, Golden Globes, Hollywood Critics, and Producer’s Guild of America awards. So I don’t agree with the idea that “Silly Hitler” is such a bad concept that it should be dismissed out of hand, which seems to be what you’re saying, it’s possible to make an award winning movie with that basic idea. Same thing with a series like “My Mother the Car” - that show flopped, but Mr. Ed with a similar premise (talking horse instead of car) was a big success, and Knight Rider later on did quite well with a talking horse (with tech instead of spirits), and there tere were also very successful movies with sentient (though non-talking) cars like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and the Herbie series.

I think that shooting down a movie based on the fact that a one sentence summary sounds silly is just foolish. A huge number of very successful movies, especially comedies and kid’s movies, have a real one sentence summary that sounds like ‘nonsense’, and even more can have an absurd summary made. For that matter, lots of movies and TV shows have premises that are stupid or sound stupid and still make a great (even award winning) film/show once they’re actually executed.

I must have missed that episode.

Reading this, I am sure that with a little imagination you could propose a movie/TV show for any of the above in a way that seems to be a practical show; but it all depends on the writing (and direction) IMHO. I mean, propose a film in the Batman series (a proven moneymaker), utilizing a several major stars and villains from the Batman universe that hadn’t appeared yet, and you have no trouble selling it…and you get Batman and Robin.

Or try to pitch “It’s about class divisions played out on a golf course, but it’s a wacky comedy with gophers and Bill Murray”, which sounds like a non-starter but you end up with Caddyshack.

It’s not in the proposal; it’s all in the writing and direction.

IMHO as always; YMMV.

lol that’s a good editing mistake (I reordered that sentence), it would definitely have been a different show if KITT had been a horse.

Considering how it was reviled as the epitome of television idiocy, Gilligan’s Island somehow found an afterlife in syndication and has become culturally iconic. The boundary between entertainingly lighthearted farce and just plain stupidity is a difficult one to find.

Now I’m picturing a SF show set on a backwater frontier planet ala’ Firefly with a cowboy hero whose horse is an AI robot.

You mean Bravestarr?

And it’s actually pretty good.

So, yeah, once it get to actually filming the pilot, a good number get on the air. But LOTS of *pitches *are done.

IIRC the premise was originally that the astronauts were living back in Caveman times, but switched rapidly to the cavemen living in modern times.

I remember the theme song- that, at least, was pretty good.

Hmmm… Westworld has AI horses, and the AI humans are showing signs of independence, so if their ratings drop they could always turn into a Knight Rider ripoff…

Stalag-17 was somewhat a comedy to begin with.