How did "Baby" become the most popular word in pop music?

And really not to mention Everybody Loves My Baby (But My Baby Don’t Love Nobody But Me) from 1924, and When My Baby Smiles at Me from 1920.

“…I’m so glad, she’s my little girl,
She’s so glad she’s telling all the world…”
-Lennon-McCartney, She Loves You (yeah, yeah yeah)

Could be worse, Chevalier seemed distinctly uncomfortable singing “Thank Heaven for Little Girls”.

Even before the Beatles there were tons of babys. All of those Phil Spector songs–Be My Baby, Baby I Love You, You Baby, Christmas (Baby Please Come Home), etc.

Be Bop A Lula predates the Beatles: Gene Vincent recorded it in 1956.

Probably walking into a woosh, but that’s I Feel Fine, not She Loves You. More on topic to this thread, the first few lines are ‘Baby’s good to me, you know. She’s happy as can be, you know. She said so.’

“Yes Sir, That’s My Baby” was written in 1925. The first lines of Be Bop A Lula either rip it off or pay it tribute, not sure which.

That’s trochaic. Iambic quadrameter would be a-ONE a-TWO a-THREE a-FOUR.

“Honey” is in fact pronounced as a trochee in many instances. I would consider “huh-NEE” to be nonstandard, though at least few people would really think you were talking about bee food.

Doh!!

Thanks. Yeah, just proves L-McC were following the general trend, not anywhere near setting it. And, oddly enough, now that I google the lyrics, there’s not a single “baby” in “She Loves You”; while “little girl” is used in “Twist and Shout” (a cover, IIRC), “Run for Your Life”, and of course “Hello Little Girl” and “Thank You Little Girl”.

Can’t Buy Me Love, And I Love Her, Hard Days Night… all don’t say “baby” either.

Just a few that leap to mind:

So its use has been around a LONG time!

Hello my baby, hello my honey, hello my ragtime gal. 1899.

Yeah, but that was a frog singing that, wasn’t it? :smiley:

It became so popular because “inamorata” was too clumsy. :wink:

And it will be again. That’s the beauty of it.

“Baby! Baby!.. Why does he say this “baby”? The Führer has never said “baby”.”

• Franz Liebkind

That’s the great thing about the Dope. I didn’t know the year that was written, and wasn’t trying to claim Gene Vincent had the earliest song with “Baby” in it, only that his song predated the Beatles. :smiley:

But when I hear “Yes Sir, That’s My Baby,” I automatically think of When Harry Met Sally and the Pictionary game. “Baby Fishmouth”!

So that’s why my girlfriend calls me baby. I knew there was something sinister behind it.

Baby isn’t just reserved for lovers. People frequently refer to a prized possession as “My baby.” People might say, “This Corvette is my baby,” or “I’ve been working on this project for three years; it’s my baby.”

Concur with SecretaryofEvil. Sometimes a metaphor is just a metaphor.

Origin in pop is in Arabic music which uses “beeby” imported via slavery to the USA meaning ‘my beloved’ -> blues -> rock -> pop. No change since. Actually the word baby entered English in 14c. from Spanish ‘bebe’ also from Arabic ‘beeby’ lyrical form for ‘my beloved’. :cool:

Unlikely.