How did Indian tribes who lived inland (before 1492) conceive of the Atlantic and Pacific oceans?

I’m not “arguing” it, because it’s beyond argument. They were one culture.

This is mere assertion. Can you point me to a source that affirms that all American Indians from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego were part of one culture, or are you merely going to repeat this assertion. If the latter, please don’t bother. I’m not interested in another assertion on your part.

Not something I’ve said, so just more straw. From context, I’ve clearly just been talking about the Mississippian Culture.

And I’m pretty sure the Yaghan didn’t need anyone to tell them about either ocean :roll_eyes:

Stupid is not the same as ignorant, or uninformed. And whose lives were such that they had no time to worry about some things.

Illiterate is also not the same as ignorant, or uninformed.

Serfs and villeins were not slaves. There’s a very big difference.

Farmers in all times and places have to work fairly hard and steadily, more at some times of the year than others, but peasants generally had plenty of time off.

There were many church holidays and festivals, and they tended to have long lunch breaks, siestas in the afternoon, etc. Wealthier peasants could send their sons to school and university.

A serf had leisure time on Sundays and on holidays when the most popular pastimes were drinking beer, singing, and group dancing to music from pipes, flutes and drums. There were games like dice, board games and sports such as hockey and medieval football

Even if they had to work on their lord’s land for a percentage of the time, the lord also had obligations. From an estate in England in 1298:

All the aforesaid villeins at the end of mowing [hay] will have sixpence for beer and a loaf of bread apiece. And he [the lord] must provide three bushels of wheat for the aforesaid bread. And each of the aforementioned mowers will have one small bundle of hay each evening, as much as he can mow with his scythe.

Some pictures from late medieval France, perhaps a little idealised, but they still give the general idea.

Sowing and harrowing:

(Note the distracted sower, not noticing the birds eating the seeds!)

Women raking hay:

Grape harvest:

(Note the pregnant woman, the man standing next to her eating a bunch of grapes, and the guy bending over with his underwear showing!)

This book has good chapters that help answer the OP’s question.
The Chickasaw Indian map of 1723 (collected by Francis Nicholson) is relevant — it shows that some Indians in, say, Arkansas, were aware of the geography over a large area that included the Gulf of Mexico.

Here’s an image and brief description of that particular deerskin map of the interior South. Note the mention of “coastlines”: (you might have to copy and paste the link — coding weirdness)

Lost?

One misconception inland Native Americans may have had is what we would consider constitutes an ocean. For a people with no vessels larger than a cut-out canoe, there would be little to differentiate the Great Lakes and the Gulf of Mexico from the Atlantic or the Pacific. All rivers eventually find their way to a large body of water, and anywhere the rivers went, so did people.

“From context”–that’s hilarious. I quote you saying that “it’s beyond argument. They were one culture.” and you spout “out of context” to me? Where did you even IMPLY that you were talking about one very specific, geographically limited culture when the original context included ALL American Indian tribes and their awareness of other geographies? That is, Eastern shore tribes’ awareness of the Pacific, West Coast tribes’ awareness of the Atlantic etc. Sounds to me that you’re asserting (again) a tautology–“tribes that knew each other knew each other.” I already understood that. What I was asking about was what did tribes know about the geography of distant parts of the continent and how did that enter into their consciousness, legends, myths, if at all.

I don’t know, maybe when I explictly spoke about that culture.

But I’m done with … whatever it is you’re doing here, I’m going to nope right out of it.

Working direct link. to the page.

Thanks.

[Moderating]

I don’t think we’re successfully fighting ignorance here. Closing before tempers get any more heated.