How do I build my own computer?

Another builder here…

Honestly, if you want a run-of-the-mill comp and only want brand-new stuff, then don’t bother and get a clone like suggested above. Assembled tend to be cheaper when you go for exotic hardware. The Dells and Alienwares tend to put good premium on such workstations. The only way, you’ll get a regular built PC cheaper is if you buy second-hand components from either eBay or online trading forums like the one at Ars OpenForum (Agora Classifieds). Generally, I don’t have a problem buying such components, as long as they still have warranty left on them. I haven’t been burnt (to date). But, that’s your call.

You’re a brave woman. I’ve built my own PCs since my Pentium 150 and the experience had allowed me be self-dependant, which utlimately saves me money and much trouble. But be warned: if you’re starting from scratch to build a new PC, you won’t be saving any money. In fact you may screw something up and ruin a component. Also, used parts from eBay and such are risky - they may work but have hidden defects that you will only discover later.

I would suggest buying a cheap older PC (a clone) from a friend, just to fiddle around with it. It should be ATX-based (PII or K6-2 and later) as older AT PCs are quite different. Take it apart and rebuild it. If you screw something up, no big deal. If you feel you don’t have the time, then you shouldn’t be doing this. Then move on to your “new” PC. Invest in a QUALITY NEW motherboard as it will allow you to upgrade in the future; the rest you can buy used or cheap and replace later if necessary.

There are many sites that take you step by step. Here’s a couple I found:
PC Mechanic and Motherboards.org

With all due respect, it sounds like she’s going to have enough to learn without also having to worry what /dev/hda1 means and whether she wants lilo in the MBR or on the boot partition.

In fact, I’m not sure how your suggestion to use linux instead of windows helps in any way with regard to the OP’s desire to learn about how to build a computer. Is this one of those platform hijacks I’ve been hearing about?

Shepherdless gives good advice. Try to find an older one and take it apart and put it back together. Don’t buy parts from E-Bay.Check out the Forums at TechImo and theycan help with advice.

You can save some coinage and get just as good a system based on the Athlon XP as opposed to the p4.

a nforce2 chipset motherboard isn’t expensive. ABITs NF7-S comes to mind, though it’s something of an enthusiasts board (read tons of free support forums online-like AMDmb.com)

www.anandtech.com is a great knowledge base / resource.

my first homebuilt was an AMD DX2-80 !!! we’ve come a long
way baby. It’s hard to recommend if you should bite this off or not, I’d say go for it. Many motherboards today come with the EIDE cables clearly labeled and they autodetect hardrive parameters.

You’ll have to buy an ATX case.

Slight deviation - I want to buy some memory for my home pc. However, I’m a bit confused over the different types of memory. I know I want an extra 256mb to take my total to 512mb. So do I need DDR, RIMM, SoDIMM, Pro or DIMM. Some memory also comes with a clock speed - how important is this?

I have a Dell Optiplex 1.8GHz (its one of those cases that have no screws - everything is held in with self locking plastic (ooooh lovely!)).

NaughtyMe you can go to Crucial and use there dropdowns to find your comp and then the recomended memory. Their prices are usually pretty good but once you know what you need you don’t have to buy from them.

I looked through it but you didn’t post your exact model so i couldn’t get to the memory recomendations. All you need to know is your maker/model/and model number…you are most of the way there.

Elycien Ah yes - theres a reason for that. I am at work at the mo (which you are probably at too) and for the life of me can’t remember what the model is I have sitting on the desk at home - how crap is that?. Anyway thanks for that website I’ll have a butchers a little later on.

Thanks

Sorry, should have added this to the end of the last post - in simple terms what is the difference between DDR, RIMM, SoDIMM, Pro or DIMM. Is the difference in the number of pins, internal structure etc? Just curious, its a part of the computer I’m a little confused about.

In a simple response, yes…it’s difference in number of pins, internal structure and etc. :slight_smile: I build my own comps but i’m no tech guru so can’t explain the exact differences. Basically, it comes down to the fact that none of the different types of memory is interchangeable. Some motherboards may support more than 1 type of memory but that is rare. I did a quick google and couldn’t find anything really explaining the physical differences.

Ars Technica is your friend.

Let me add one quick thing regarding static electricity. I’ve found it best to just take off all my clothes while working inside my computer. It would help if you assembled it in a room without carpet too, just to be extra safe. Hopefully you have something like a kitchen or dining room with hardboard floors. Of course, even then I’ll occasionally touch the computer case to discharge any static that might have snuck in.

Me? Paranoid? Nah. :wink:

1. How big is your computer?
  2. All sorts of strange images are invading my head :eek:

ntucker: She’s concerned about cost. She’s apparently plenty intelligent, as well. I think Linux would be a good choice for her. After all, what use is a modern computer without a functional OS?

Fine. But the choice is unrelated to the topic at hand, which is building a computer. You don’t even know if she needs a new operating system.

(not to mention that I think throwing redhat or debian at your average computer user seeking advice is a awful idea, and I’m a linux enthusiast)

ntucker: Then enlighten us all, please: Which distro would you suggest?

(I’m honestly curious.)

What gives you the idea that I’d recommend any linux distribution to random Windows users? I think in order to use and maintain a linux system, you either have to be a hardcore nerd or really into tinkering and learning arcane stuff.

I was once really fired up about linux, and would recommend it at the drop of a hat. I spent a lot of time helping fellow computer programmers who’d never used linux before figure out why their cdrom or sound or firewire drive or whatever didn’t work, because I was the group linux nerd, and I was the one who recommended they try it. I came away with the opinion that if Joe Blow wants to try linux, he better have a linux nerd on call.

Microsoft, on the other hand, spends bazillions of dollars making sure that you don’t call them and ask them lots of questions. They do this by making windows easy to use. (easier, anyway :slight_smile: )

You guys use a case? With a cover? We don’t need no stinkin’ cases! Spread the shit on the desk where it belongs. Soooo much easier to upgrade. :smiley:

And as further evidence that linux isn’t for most people, the CEO of Redhat agrees with me.

Sorry for contributing to this hijack.

Rysto I suppose building it out of a bunch of NAND chips is an acceptable shortcut. Better yet is to start with some transistors. Best of course is to start with some beach sand…

Tho making your own transistors is a pain, blowing your own vacuum tubes may be easier.

Brian