How do I convince my husband we need a dog?

I agree that the type of dog is not that important when it comes to scaring off would-be intruders. The important thing is that they alert you if something is off. A determined burglar who wants to get in your home can take care of any dog fairly easily. But, most theives are looking for an easy target, and homes with any dogs are more difficult than a house without a dog. If someone is checking your house out and hears a dog barking from inside, that alone is a deterrent and they would hopefully want to pick an easier house.

Strange dogs can be intimidating just because you don’t know what they are going to do. We have a shepherd mix, about 40 pounds. She would be no good as an ‘attack’ dog, because her response to strangers entering is to give them kisses and madly wag her tail. She does bark at people outside though, and I do encourage her to do this. Not incessantly - she will bark to ‘tell’ us something is out there, when I go and see the person (or squirrel, or trash can that was not there before) she is praised, then told, ok, enough. She is usually satisfied that we, the pack, are aware of the presence and will stop barking then. (Except squirrels - they are a particularly threatening enemy and must be scared off. If a squirrel ever tries to break into our house we are all set.)

My husband has a truck for sale right now and told someone they could stop by and look at it. He came by when we weren’t home, and told us later he ‘saw your dog and didn’t want to look around too much’ on his own. The dog was inside, the truck was in the garage - not a threat to him but still a deterrent. This is exactly the response we want (even though the thought of our dog intimidating anyone is hilarious to me) - she makes her presence known and watches what is going on when we are not there. You can train about any type of dog to do this, so I would concentrate more on finding a dog whose temperment fits your lifestyle, you can train it to guard later.

Dogs are worthless.

Never kiss an animal that can lick its own butt.

Um, yeah, anyway.

IDBB,
one thing you may want to consider:
It gets really really hot here in Texas (and in other news, the Pope is Catholic, I know). Will you have an indoor room available to them during the summer months, while you are not home? I know some people leave their dogs outside because they have igloos or dog houses. IHO, I wouldn’t subject a dog to that. Short Haired breeds such as Pitties and Staffs can and do get sunburned.

A breed you may want to consider is a Boston Terrier. They have many characteristics of Staffords, except they have very sweet dispositions and are much much smaller. A lot of people ask if ours our pitties. This may be a good thing: if a burgler thinks its a small pittie, then he’ll think twice.

We like this for several reasons: smaller dogs = smaller poops. smaller dogs are more portable. You can take them anywhere. BT’s range from 15-30 pounds.

The males tend to be on the hyper side, but ours has started to calm down a lot.
They are very emotional and are very attached to their families. You may find that they will get very lonely and soon,you too, will have two dogs, as we do.

Our dogs love our cat and sleep with her at night. They like to tease her, but woe is anyone who tries to mess with her.

As for costs, I just went to the vet. For two dogs, getting all the shots and a box of heartworm tablets was about $150.00. They eat a medium sized bag of Iams once every week and a half. the big bags last about a month.

There is a BT rescue in North Dallas. We got ours in Houston, but I am sure that the prices will be similar: about $200.00. I think you will find that this is a typical cost for a rescue dog. they want to make sure you really, really want the dog.

Anyhow,hope that helps you out.

Why the emphasis on a pure-bred dog? I’ve got a half Siberian Husky half St Berard mutt that I like. He’s around 80 pounds or so and is a good watchdog and a hell of a deterrant when he spreads his mane. He also has blue eyes. We rescued him from an idiot sheik over here who was trying to breed Salukis.

Generally a friendly dog and good with kids. As far as food goes, we feed him two cups of dried food every day plus some stuff my wife cooks up in the kitchen. She buys those little plastic trays of chicken giblets, hearts and gizzards and boils them up. Then she freezes individual portions about the size of your fist. We mix one of those with the dried food and the beast loves it.

He follows my daughter and her girlfriends around the house trying to get them to feed him. He doesn’t, emphatically doesn’t, like teenage boys though. He doesn’t bite or growl, just stands behind them and breathes on the backs of their knees. LOL

All the best.

Testy

You want a high-strung, barky dog – a terrier breed, for example, like a Schnauzer. Schnauzers will bark at anything – birds, cars, shadows, people they know, people they don’t know, and on and on. Though on the flipside, when I was a kid, and we brought a miniature Schnauzer into the home, my cat, who previously had the house to herself, retreated to the basement for pretty much the rest of her life, as she was so offended by the dog.

BadNews–$200???:eek: That’s a little out of range for us at the moment. But thanks for the info. Any dog we get will probably be a smallish to medium sized dog that will be crate-trained because I sure as hell am NOT leaving my dog outside in the Texas heat all summer long. NO freaking way.
Testy–I’m not saying we’ll get a purebreed dog. It’s all depending on what’s available in the shelters as to what we get. What I’m really jonesing for right now is this little guy. I’ve got my husband halfway convinced we should adopt him. I’m just waiting on email back from the shelter to see if a neuter would be included in his adoption fee. If it’s not…we’ll move on to looking for a dog who is already neutered or will soon be neutered and the cost is part of the adoption fee.
mrunlucky–I DO NOT want a highstrung,barky terrier. Thanks anway.:slight_smile:
gato–BUGGER OFF!
:dubious:

IDBB

He seems a lot like our dog, which we got off PetFinder, too! Something to consider - we were also told ours was a corgi mix, and now that she is a little older, we can tell she is definitely not. If that matters to you. It didn’t to us, we were just surprised when her legs shot up!

We also had to deal with a few shelter-related health problems right off the bat, and that can be expensive. She was up to date on her shots and was fixed, but she had parasites that became apparent later and she needed medicine and a special diet for a while…so make sure he is checked out (even if the shelter gives him a clean bill of health). You can get free pet insurance for a while if you get a dog through PetFinder - so take advantage of it. It doesn’t cover a lot of things, but would help if there is something major.

He looks like a sweetie! Good luck!

IDBB, a good friend of mine has an American Pit Bull Terrier. He’s a lovely, friendly dog, and my friend says he barks up a storm until someone comes in the house, at which point the dog just wants to play and be fed by the stranger. So the barking might be a very good deterrent, but like other people said, it can be an extremely friendly breed. His dog is also very much an alpha to other dogs (not to people, don’t know how he reacts to cats), so it plays very rough at first to establish dominance, then backs off and plays normally. He always watches his dog to be sure that it doesn’t get too rough during these times.

Zoe the wonder hound used to eat Iams.

Then, some folks I know from dog rescue circles pointed me here:

http://www.iamskills.com/

I contacted Iams in a very friendly way…told them that I had been loyal to their brand for almost 2 years, my dog loved it, but that this information was troubling to me and I wanted to hear their side of the story.

They never once bothered to contact me. I assume that if it were not true, they would have tried to keep a customer. I now buy a local all natural dogfood, Red Bandanna ( http://www.redbandannapetfood.com/ )

mouthbreather–it’s not that I don’t BELIEVE the article…I’m just going to take it with a grain of salt and side with IAMS on this one. IAMS is the only brand my cats will eat. We’ve tried others…but everything else just seems to get either rejected or horked up ten min after eating. So…we’re sticking with IAMS.
Thanks for the info tho.:slight_smile:
BadNews–through Petfinder.com we found a cute 2 year old black/white Bost Terr named Spike who is also in need of a home. I emailed the shelter where he is located asking basic questions (good with cats, adoption fee,whether there is a home/vet check,etc)and am expecting to hear back from them soon. I really like Bostons and since we haven’t decided yet to definately go with Dingo, I"m tossing li’l Spike’s collar into the ring.
Hopefully…soon…we’ll make up our minds and decide which dog to get.:slight_smile:

IDBB

I was in Amsterdam recently and saw a lady, very cute blonde about 5’ 2" tall with the perfect set of dogs. She had a pair of Neopolitan mastiffs with her. The dogs were actually quite friendly but commanded a lot of respect from the other pedestrians. For anti-burgler and general intimidation purposes those things were perfect. S

All the best.

Testy

LOL!
I’d be scared of those damn things too. Had a guy go into the Petsmart where I normally shop with two huge mastiff-type dogs and they scared the poop outta me.:slight_smile:

IDBB

IDBB, you have to be prepared to hunt quite a bit on Petfinder b/c a lot of the pictures/links to certain dogs are expired; it just takes a while for the under-funded and very hectic shelters to get around to removing them.

So don’t get your heart too set on a particular pic, and remember that a lot of smaller/cuter/younger dogs will never make it to any website, b/c they’re adopted so quickly. Your best bet is to make a frequent stop at your nearest shelter to see what they’ve got. Same reason you’ll rarely find pics of puppies; they go so quickly there’s no point in posting a pic of them.

And, btw, I have an (absurdly huge) 11 lb chihuahua–who looks just like a mini pinscher with bigger ears so I’m still kind of thinking I was duped–as well as a 9 lb stray mutt, and they are both excellent, excellent watchdogs. I would never expect them to protect me, but they do indeed alert me. They’re strictly indoor dogs, with hour-long forays into the backyard for sun and fun, and trust me…anyone who wanted to break into my house would have a hard time sneaking in anywhere b/c my dogs would lose their minds.

And while they’re just as “doggy” as their bigger cousins, I do appreciate the smaller poop and the smaller appetite.

Mouthbreather:
:eek:
I know you well enough IRL to trust your judgement regarding IAMS. We used to feed them Iams all the time, but we discovered Feorgie has a wheat allergy. I now buy some nature brand one. We don’t have a local brand, or else I would buy that.

the dogs also love Biljack. Have you smelled this stuff? It makes me want to make meatloaf out of it!

Regardless of what dog you choose, I think dogs are great. I have learned so much about love and life from mine. I think a dog will do ya a world of good, IDBB! Nothing beats being sick and having your dog stay by your side all day.

(sniff)
I think I have somethng in my eye…

Feorgie??

Read that as Georgie.