How do I give myself a buzz cut?

OK, I’ve bought a Wahl clipper set. Also picked up a new hat in case things go awry…

Will let you know how things go after I make the first attempt a self-haircut later tonight.

As you can see, sucks as it cuts!
Well it certainly does suck!

I used a #4 all the way around for my first attempt. Seemed to go OK, and the mess wasn’t as bad as I expected.

Showered and went to bed. But when I got up again this morning it appears I have a tuft or two sticking up. Not sure if this is the consequence of poor buzzing or just morning hair. Maybe I’ll try the #3 next and see what happens.

Sometimes when you cut your hair, there are spots that are laying down that don’t get picked up as well. Next time, after the first dry run, wet your hair and do it again. That usually gets the stragglers.

I’ve been giving myself a buzzcut for a few years now. I usually cut it down to 1/4" (dunno what number that is), a few times I’ve used no guard but it’s rough on my scalp and I didn’t like it.

I’ve been using a Conair clipper, I haven’t noticed any difference between it and the Wahl at my parents house.

If I had enough hair to cover the complete scalp, I wouldn’t have shaved my head in the first place. :stuck_out_tongue:

I like the look of a cut that my barber calls “as short as you can go while still leaving enough to comb”. I’d estimate the hairs on top are about an inch-and-a-quarter to and inch-and-a-half long. The back and sides are shorter. My hair still has an identifiable part in it.

Can I get this kind of cut myself with Wahl clippers? Or is that a little too long for clippers? I don’t really want it to be identified as a “buzz cut”. The look I’m going for is more like a super-short conventional cut. I hope I’m explaining this well enough.