How do they tow cars left in gear with the parking brake on?

In fact, when my son was doing locksmithing I told him to take a little longer getting into the car so it would look like he was actually earning the money.

Some of the newer electric locked cars aren’t so easy to open without a key.

I’ve had some funny experiences with the NRMA (our version of the AAA). One time I locked my keys in my van, and the patrolman made me sign a waiver for any damage he may cause (he didn’t cause any). The other time I called them having locked myself out, there was no waiver, but the guy told me to look away when he did it, citing some legal concern that I could watch him and suddenly become a professional car thief.

Another time, I called the NRMA to my workplace for a friend who had locked her keys in. The patrolman just used blue strapping tape. Having used this myself on older cars I used to drive, I know that after a few attempts, the tape will no longer work as it starts to get bent and creased. I saw the patrolman had the oldest, most frayed piece of tap I had ever seen used for this purpose. He told me his employers don’t even supply this stuff and he has to find his own. I excused myself for a moment, went inside, and came out a moment later and gave him about thirty feet of the stuff. His eyes lit up like it was Christmas. Needless to say, this guy didn’t have the same attitude as the other ones, and was happy for me to watch him break in.

And here was I thinking they had some sort of high tech method of doing it.

1. Not necessarily true. Depends upon why they are towing. If they are towing you because of the fact your car is in violation of laws or ordinances, they are often excused from liability by ordinance and/or law.

2. In any event, they are held to the same standard all people are: they cannot breach their duty of due care. In short, they would only be liable if negligent, and that is very circumstance dependent (much to the delight of law school exam question writers).