How do we balance individual rights and public safety wrt the mentally ill?

You should never rely solely on drugs to combat depression. Exercise, hobbies, even hanging out with friends on a regular basis can work wonders. Never rely on your doctor to cure you – as with any other major disease, it is your responsibility to take control of your treatment and focus on the path to recovery.

Perhaps, but at least it’s better than a sample of one. :rolleyes:

I’m talking about examining the human condition, what it’s like to know these people on a face-to-face basis. You can’t obtain that kind of insight from controlled studies, because statistics distract you from the fact that every individual situation is unique. Heck, even now I’m dealing with an appalling situation that’s forced me to re-examine my faith in psychiatry – but I don’t think one extreme bad apple is enough to spoil the whole lot. At least, that’s what I keep telling myself.

Now there’s a fuzzypicklepost I’ll ratify!

I’ve got nothing against psychdrugs if they do you good. But take responsibility, take control of your treatment. Definitely.

I whole-heartedly agree. Which is why I think this country’s treatment of the mentally ill has to be more of a holisitic “take them as they come” approach rather than a “let’s drug them up and then push them out as soon as we can” dealskie.

You give anyone enough dope and they’ll be quiet and “good”. But are they living? Are they functional? Are they happy? I’ve never felt so liberated when, a week or so ago, I said, “FUCK THIS SHIT!” and stopped taking some (not all) of my meds. I don’t like the swirly intense thoughts or the dyskinisia, but if I don’t have energy to be creative, I don’t want to live. Thank God I have insurance that covers me for both psychiatric and psychological services. Without the latter, I couldn’t even begin to deal with the former.

Aw, you’re too sweet. :wink:

It does sound like you’re doing better than a few weeks ago – and you’ll get no argument from me that nearly all people are being over-medicated these days. :rolleyes:

Just remember, chronic depression isn’t anything you ever want to mess around with. But as long as you’re taking something to maintain balance, it’s a start. Heck, I’ve been on a daily regiment of bipolar-controlling chemicals for most of my life, even though it’s been reduced to meditation, megavitamins & medical cannabis nowdays. :cool:

Dr. Peter Breggin suggested a pet or conversation.

And the experts can’t even agree on drugs.

If the CIA was controlling your mind, belief would be irrelevant.

You’d think if the CIA was so skilled at mind control, they’d prevent that guy from making the video in the first place…

…or maybe that’s what they want us to think??? :eek: