How do you deal with your car in the shop if you live alone

I know it’s not feasible for everyone, but this is why I have 2 vehicles.

Because I have a 100-mile daily RT commute, both are beaters, but I keep them well-serviced. 2000 Taurus and a 2000 Ford Explorer. The Taurus is my main car, and the SUV I use for hauling groceries, gardening stuff, furniture (I paint & re-purpose furniture), and for the when the weather is really crappy here in PA in the winter.

I was petrified to be without a vehicle; I also have to say I hadn’t lived alone from the time I was 18 till 4 years ago when I was 46, so this is probably unreasonable paranoia on my part.

I also have a very trusted mechanic who keeps the beaters in very good shape.

UT

Thanks for the offer, but no I don’t live there anymore. I loved Bloomington but moved out in 2007 after graduation. All the advice about getting a coworker to drive me is good (and would’ve worked fine in my old job), the problem is I just started this new job a week ago and barely know my coworkers.

Luckily I found a dealership a mile from where I work and I have an appointment with them tomorrow. So we shall see how it goes.

I miss my old mechanic. He and I went to high school together. Plus he let me bring in my own parts (they are much cheaper on sites like ebay) and only charged $25/hr for labor. Repairs that would cost me $200 at a regular dealership only cost me $80 when all was said and done with his dealership. If I need extensive repairs I may just buy the parts myself and let him take care of it, and borrow a family members car for a couple of days. However since the damage was my fault (I drove over a highway divider at about 15mph while turning left into traffic at night) I feel guilty about asking someone else to borrow their car. I may need extensive work (power steering and struts, etc). We shall see.

Blah, they want $1100 to fix it. On the plus side, the repair shop had a shuttle service to and from the dealership. So that was nice.

I am going to bite the bullet and take it back home to my hometown mechanic. He lets me bring in my own parts and charges less for labor. I got a written estimate that includes $460 for car parts to do my repair, parts that I found online (new obviously) for $99. I am just going to buy the parts online and have my hometown mechanic fix it. I can use the extra money to buy more blinker fluid (not that I am a car expert, but I like that joke).

Which means I’ll have to ask my parents if I can borrow a car. But it beats spending hundreds extra.

$460 to $99 is a pretty big swing. Make sure you are getting the same parts, and adequate quality. There is some real shit being sold as auto parts out there.

I checked a forum from people who bought from the same manufacturer (not the wholesaler, the manufacturer, MAS industries) and they said they were good parts that lasted. But aside from that one forum, I’m not sure.

I am trying to find parts from more mainstream manufacturers (AC Delco, duralast, etc). But I am having trouble finding all the parts in one place and doing that. I can find one part at JC Whitney, another at another site, but they are from various manufacturers and I’d rather get all my parts in one place from a mainstream manufacturer even if I have to pay more. I need upper ball joints, lower ball joints and an idler arm. However the prices for these items are never anywhere near $460. However I have no idea what all smaller parts go along with that. But evenso, not close to $400-500. I found an AC Delco idler arm for $74. etc.

What I am looking at now is a suspension kit that will fit my car. It has the upper and lower ball joints plus the idle arm, plus a few other parts like tie rods, stabalizer link and pitman arm. I figure if he needs the extra parts he can install them too.

I don’t see any problem with buying the parts from different sellers as they are all the same parts just sold by different people. Well if your like me in a way, then yeah that also proves to be a hassle for me. But this way, it’s more time and money consuming, so I suggest you try it out, unless you’ve got money to spare :slight_smile:

Take the car to a dealership so you can take advantage of the shuttle service. Any higher cost of the dealership repair likely is cheaper than paying for a rental car (and returning it) as well as the repair at the less expensive shop. And it’s much less of a hassle.