How do you determine how much you tip?

I believe in overtipping, so 25% is the usual tip. Most of the time the card terminal will have buttons for 15, 20 and 25% so I don’t even have to do any math. If I’m adding it at the table, I’m not afraid to round it up to make it easier.

My wife is very generous, and I tend to be on the cheap side. So I just ask her how much to tip. :grin:

That’s my philosophy on tipping. A few extra dollars that turn a tip from 20% to 25% or 30% will make a much bigger difference to the person receiving them than they will to me.

Before the pandemic I tipped around 25% for good service. During the pandemic (before restaurants reopened to indoor dining) I doubled it to 50%. Now I tip about 35%, in cash if I have it.

This is pretty much the answer I was going to give.

At a restaurant, always 20% (unless something went really wrong).

When I get my hair cut, 20% of the price of the haircut seems a little low for the attention and care given to my hair, so I always give my barber / hairstylist a $5.

I round up the total, determine 20% of that, then round that number up to an even dollar amount. I usually tip in cash even if I pay my tab with a card. If I am taking advantage of a coupon I tip on the total I’d be paying without the coupon.

If the service was bad, I still tip. I just never go back to the place. It’s an extreme rarity; there are only three places on my “dead to me” list.

Yeah, I was going to say, what about carryout? During the lockdown I’d tip a full 20% when picking up, especially food at our local Thai place. But historically, or when picking up say, a pizza, 20% seems a bit much, and I usually just throw in a buck or two, which might work out to only 10%.

Several people have indicated they make a point of paying the tip in cash. Do servers really appreciate this, or is it not a big deal? I’ve never done it, but I’m not opposed, even if the goal is to help them avoid taxes (or avoid the owners from cheating them).

Should I start carrying more cash around? (we eat in restaurants a lot these days–our kitchen is getting remodeled)

I’ve had servers/bartenders tell me that it is appreciated. Food truck operators as well.

I do not have a “goal” in tipping cash. AIUI it allows more flexibility.

You know, I tend to tip a little less (like 17 to 18%) if the service I received was “light” as in, I drove to the stop to pick up the pizza. Nobody had to wait on me or clean up the table. Nobody had to deliver the pizza. Someone took my order, someone cooked the food, and I did everything else.

In most states, the 2-3% credit card fee is deducted from the total tip, so that’s one reason to tip in cash.

I generally tip a standard 20% of the pre-tax figure.

Since moving back to Hawaii and then getting socked by the Covid pandemic, I’ve not done any traveling lately. What’s standard now for housekeeping in a hotel? I used to leave $2 or $3 on the pillow each day during our stay, $5 on the day of departure. Any updates on that?

I’d love to hear people’s thoughts on tipping hotel maids too. I realized some time ago that I’d been tipping $1 per person per night for a long time now and it was probably time to update that. Since then I’ve only ever stayed one night at a time and I’ve just left $5.

I tip people who wait on my table. Terrible service would merit a “pity tip” of ten percent. In this day and age in an urban setting, that’s tantamount to saying, “You suck!” Good service ranges between 15 and 20 percent, depending on duration and effort.

I generally leave $5. I’ll make some effort to try to have some small bills when I’m staying at hotels. If I don’t have a five, I might leave $10. If I only have $20, I’ll probably not leave anything.

I generally leave 18% (the charge machine usually has a button for just that). But when I got my first haircut after nearly a year and a half I tipped $10 just so she’s know how much I appreciate her. And when I went to my first restaurant meal after the same time, I tipped over 30%. I know its been a rough year for them.

We always pay by credit/debit card but tip in cash. Minimum of 20%. My husband writes ~CASH~ on the tip line of the credit card slip.

I honestly didn’t know this was even a thing until my mid 30’s. I wasn’t being cheap, i just had no idea you were supposed to this. My wife educated me on the subject.

I also wasn’t picky about having maid service done, and would often leave the do not disturb sign on all the time, even when i left, so i didn’t have to tidy up before the maid came. I thought i was doing them a favor by not making them clean my room. Turns out some are (poorly) paid per room.

You don’t say what kind of service you’re asking about. Restaurant?

I don’t have any idiosyncrasies, just some guidelines so I don’t have to figure it out from scratch every time.

I tip 20% at a restaurant unless the service was negligent. I tip on the credit card so I take 20% before tax and usually round up to make it simpler. I’ll tip up to 25% if the server went above and beyond. I never, ever stiff a server on a tip unless I’m upset enough to tell the manager why. That has only happened a couple of times.

I tip my barber $10 on a $20 charge because they have lost so much business in the past year due to covid.

I tip hotel housekeeping $5 a night for one or two of us. I tip the bellman $2-3 per bag if there is bell service. If a concierge is especially helpful I will leave a tip anywhere from $5 to $20.

I tip taxis and Uber 15-20% depending on the level of service.

I tip parking valets $2-3, more if they are really hustling or have a long run to park and retrieve the car.

I look at the total and I just have a gut feeling about what it should be and I tip that. I’d estimate it’s usually about 20% give or take some if I was to calculate it out. I’m sure I’m just doing the math subconsciously.

I never got this attitude. If I had a lousy dinner (whatever the reason) I just want to get out of there and never return. Fuck them, I don’t work for them and do not feel a need to discuss my feelings with management.

But that’s just me.

ETA: exit interview? Hah!