[QUOTE=WhyNot]
Quasimodal, I think perhaps you’re looking at “going the extra mile” the wrong way. It’s the things you’ve mentioned - leading band at warm-up, taking attendance, etc. - that are themselves the “reward” when you’re in sixth grade. Tough talking or not, that age loves to help out, and if you approach it that the “fantastic kid of today” is ALLOWED to take attendance, you’ve made good behavior its own reward - literally.
I’d turn the whole system around, take away the bucks, and simply say things like, “Jane, I like how neatly your case is stowed under your seat.” “Tim, great job with that last piece, that was a tough one!” You don’t even have to tally it. You’ll know who’s being a knockout. The kids will know what you’re looking for. At the end of the week, when it’s still fresh in everyone’s mind, announce that Jane will be the warm-up leader for all of next week, and Tim gets to take attendance. Then, at the end of the following week, pick out two more stand-outs. (Or change it bi-weekly, or daily, or whatever works for you.)
They’ll be fighting to be good.
The other thing my mom does is occasionally throw out Jolly Ranchers as random rewards. Not often enough that they’re expected or begged for, but once in a while, you’ll do something good and get pegged in the head with a yummy treat. (Her aim is still awful, after all these years.)
Remember, intermitent reward cycles are actually more effective than a reward every single time.
[/QUOTE]
I’ll take all your advice under consideration, though I still think there will be students who adopt a “who cares” attitude to leading a warm up or taking attendence. I mean if I were in grade 6, I know I wouldn’t have wanted to do either despite the good it would have done me(I was a “bad” kid who wouldn’t do a shred of work if I didn’t have to). An extra reward can help motivate them, and if the task is enjoyable then it’s a double bonus. I like the idea of weekly helpers though, I was originally thinking monthly helpers, but that may be too long of a time to wait.
The only conclusion I’ve reached in the matter of classroom discipline is that everyone finds their own way and makes it work for them…that’s why university courses in this area teach you nothing! Hell, we haven’t found a discipline program for society yet that is 100% effective. A discipline program has to be adapted for the needs of the students, which vary from school to school, class to class, etc.