How Do You Make Poached Eggs?

That sounds lovely, but eggs cooked in a container are not poached, but shirred. I’ve made shirred eggs, and they are great - you can dress the top of them with herbs and shredded cheese - but Alton does eggs no favors by confusing the issue. And there are no bubbles to deal with, as you shouldn’t put the eggs in the water while it is boiling, but after you’ve taken the water off the heat.

I use John M’s technique, and found the perfect bowls: very tiny tempered glass bowls, 3 for $1.00 at the Dollar Tree. A couple of bucks, and I have a great setup for mise en place for my traditional holiday breakfast of eggs Benedict.

Your technique seems pretty easy. I’m going to try it tomorrow. Nothing like a good breakfast of eggs on a Sunday morning.

That sounds like a good reason not to spin. When you do spin, all the eggs end up together in the middle, or everywhere.

I think falls into the basted egg category.

Where do you get Crystal hot sauce in the PNW?

Something like this? That’s the gadget I use … very quick and easy, but I expect the result is inferior to properly poaching the eggs. And giving how easy that seems to be, from reading the rest of this thread, I’m not sure why I bother …

I don’t remember. (I prefer Tabasco; it’s a little hotter.) I think it might have been at The Market. There are four, according to the website: Birch Bay, Fairhaven, Bellingham, and Anacortes. The company also owns Cost Cutter.

Of course you can always get it from Amazon.

I like those teflon-coated pans that fit into a skillet with lid. It’s not poached, really, but IME poached eggs either come out right, or you have to toss them because they’re gross. I’d use a little insert pan or a dedicated pan for at home – save yourself a bunch of time.

“FatGuy” at that other site had a good tutorial from behind the scenes at Tavern on the Green (NYC) IIRC, but that just illustrates how much margin of error a pro outfit can take on with eggs.

OTOH, if it’s your baby and you’re making some special breakfast, get a dozen FRESH eggs and plan on half of them turning out right.

My microwave, which is a practically brand new GE Profile, doesn’t do the eggs right unless you get them EXACTLY in the middle. The reality is that you have to pause it at least once and reposition if you don’t want it overcooked on one side and undercooked on the other.

I use one of the three-up, sit on top of the pot of boiling water, things. Lightly simmering water, the cooking surface is VERY nonstick. 5 minutes, 15 seconds, EXACTLY.

May not be ‘really poached’ to the snobs, but they’re perfect, every single time.

Then they get placed on top of a piece of buttered toast, pinch of salt and fresh ground pepper, in a glass bowl that has a chicken or bunny lid.

You MUST have a chicken or Bunny vessel. It is imperative.

I don’t think it’s snobbery to use a word correctly. Every definition of “poached” that I’ve seen stipulates “cooked in water” rather than cooked in a pan.

One of the things I love about poached eggs is the surface texture of the whites. It is completely different than an egg white that has been in contact with a surface while cooking.

Well I’ll be happy with my coddled eggs then. :wink:

My partner once gave me a Calphalon 6-egg poaching pan. I don’t make poached eggs that often, but I do use the pan and lid for other purposes.

Didn’t work out so well for me.

I did step #5, and the eggs still went right to the bottom.

I set the timer for 3:20, just in case 3:00 was too little time, and they were still way undercooked. I like my yolks runny, too, but I like the whites fully cooked.

But… fishing them off the bottom wasn’t so bad, and I’ll adjust the time for longer next time. It was the cooking time that mattered most. They weren’t terrible, just undercooked, and that’s easy to fix.

They’ll sink to the bottom, true. But they won’t stick to the bottom of the pan like they would if the heat was still on.

After posting, I was thinking that I really should experiment with a bunch of eggs cooking each to a different degree of doneness and posting times.

How were your results in terms of the egg holding together and not having tendrils?

They didn’t hold together all that well, but I was able to fish out several big chunks of egg whites pretty easily.

Mine usually aren’t very pretty, but once they’re sauced with Hollandaise, no one seems to care! :smiley: They’re tasty!

Depending on the water in your area, you might have to increase the amount of vinegar. I’m a Kansas City, and it is a very hard water area.

When the eggs come out of the water they go right into an ice water bath. That stops the cooking process and removes some vinegar.

I do mine for 4 minutes and they come out perfect. Liquid yolk and firm white

I grew up with the swirling water way, no vinegar or salt, just egg and water. It’s so easy I don’t understand the need for anything else. :confused:

However, the delightful concoction above regarding the ‘steamed’ eggs is something I’m going to try next weekend for sure; I love me some breakfast skillets!