How do you pay for dealing with your trash?

In my village, garbage disposal is handled by private contractors. There are two local companies that pick up trash. I have a contract with one (actually my neighbour and I split a contract). You put the garbage out on the roadside one day a week and they come around and pick it up.

I use dto have private collectors come by twice per week fro about $85 per quarter. Gave that up to save money and now take it to the local way station - $6 for three bags of household waste. The bags are in the trunk of my car so they don’t realize they are 55gallon bin liners. . .

The municipality picks it up, no direct payment involved

Our trash is picked up by a disposal company that has a contract with the city. There are two companies with contracts and the city is split between them. The bins are provided free and are designed to be emptied by a grabber arm on the side of the trucks. Less wear and tear on employees.

The fee is paid as part of the city water and sewer hookup bill. Most of the city gets water from a company called Cal Water, though, so I don’t know if everyone has trash & sewer bundled with their water bill.

The fee for trash pickup depends on which of three sizes of trash bin you requested. Everyone also gets a yard waste bin and a recycling bin, only one size of each available. Large items are picked up twice a year, although there’s a cubic yardage limit on it, and small things can be added if they’re bagged.

We get a set of 10 “extra” stickers. If you bag extra trash, recycling, or yard waste and put one of the stickers on it, it’s free. If you lose or use up your stickers, you can buy additional ones. During leaf season you can put out 5 bags of yard waste in addition to your bin, which is pretty big. Stripped Christmas trees are picked up free at the curb.

Private trash collector comes once a week.
$20/month
+$5/month additional for recycling = I don’t recycle. If someone wants my recyclable materials they can dig through and get it themselves.

Private company picks up the trash every other week, for $20/month. There’s a town dump as well, but they charge $2.50 per bag which works out the same as the private pickup. And I’d rather haul rotting kitchen trash in the back of my little hatchback…

Recycling is picked up weekly by the municipality and paid for by local taxes.

Ours just changed. We’re still in the grace period for swapping over.

I’m assuming it’s included in our taxes because we don’t get a separate bill for it.

We now are required to recycle (we already were though). It’s no sort, which is nice.
We don’t have to use any particular bags, they just have to be transparent (or translucent - can’t remember which).

Our recycle bins/barrels are supplied by the recycling/trash guys. We supply our own trash cans. The only requirement for them is that they have to have lids that are secure.
So basically, the only things that changed are the need for secure lids on the trash cans and the enforcement of the recycling by requiring clear bags.

We get one regular household garbage collection (a 60L bin) per week. This is covered by the council rates.

There are also fortnightly collections for green waste and more bulky household stuff (furniture etc) on alternate Mondays. You have to request that your material be collected, but it’s a free service.

We pay $33/quarter for once weekly garbage pickup from a private company. This includes one large size garbage can and unlimited recycling. If you have more garbage than can fit in your can, you can buy stickers to put on extra bags at $0.40/each. We don’t produce enough garbage to even fill our can. I do like that our service comes on Monday mornings so that if I decide to clean out the fridge over the weekend I can put the stinky garbage out by the curb right away!

The trash fee is part of the water and sewer. It’s a flat fee, something like $15 a month. They pick up anything in the trash can, anything next to the trash can usually, bulk trash in the general area of the trash can, and recycling in the blue bin the city gave us.

The city (Toronto) bills us for garbage services. They provide us with a garbage bin, a recycling bin and a green bin for organic waste (all upright with a pair of wheels). The garbage bin and the recycling bin come in various sizes. You can get whichever size of recycling bin you prefer (we have the largest size because, hey, why not), but larger garbage bins increase your bill. For organic garbage, I believe you can buy your own extra green bins; the city will empty them and it doesn’t increase your bill.

If you have extra garbage, you can buy tags that you can attach to an individual garbage bag and the city will collect it; you get a certain number of free tags per year, I think. Oversized items are collected by the city for free.

I’m sure someone will come by and correct my misconceptions…

When I was little, there was a man who lived nearby who owned a truck, and my parents gave him money to come and take our trash away with it. I understood this, more or less, when I was a toddler.

Now, my trash collection company keep changing. I think. There is one company that sends out schedules, another company that sends bills, a third company to whom the bills are to be paid, a fourth company whose name is on the side of the garbage truck, a fifth company whose name is on the side of the wheeled container for recycling, and a sixth company that claims to be an umbrella for all of them. The company to whom the bills are to be paid changed last week, to “WI of Maryland”, who is actually of North Carolina. Since they are the only one of these companies that have shown me a phone number, when my collection drifted later and later to Thursday (officially it was still supposed to be Monday), I called them to ask what was up. After quite a few minutes of effort we established that they do not know who I am and they are pretty sure I am not one of their customers. I guess this is OK with me, as long as there are still other companies out there who still cooperate to pick up my trash even though none of them receive any money from me.

Getting back to the OP, “How do you pay for dealing with your trash?”, I think I have to take back my answer above, and simply say that I have no idea.

I almost never have more than one bag of trash per week. I use empty dogfood bags because I’m already emptying 8 or 9 bags per month (including horsefeed bags). On Saturday or Sunday when I go into town for errands or church I drop my trash at the local “Convenience Center”. It’s more or less on the way into town. They have dumpster-sized trasch compactor, a cardboard compactor, a large-item dumpster and recycling for glass, metal, paper and carpet padding. It’s free.

StG

I used to use a private company, but they abandoned this county (and their big old wheeled trash can). Now I have to haul my garbage to the free county site about 9 miles away. Therefore, paper trash gets burned in the back yard (we can get away with that here) and I haul the other trash once a week to the county site.

Our costs are covered by our annual council rates. We get three wheelie bins (red=rubbish, yellow=recycling, green=greenwaste). The rubbish collection is once a week and the other bins are emptied on alternate weeks.

We have three kerbside collections per year for larger household items with limits on what can be put out and a 1 cubic metre allowance. Most households never get to the one cubic metre limit because the kerbcrawlers pick out the pick of the rubbish before the council trucks ever get to it.

Paid for out of the township property tax. The township contracts it out to a private company.

There’s no curbside recycling program here, though. And while the trash company picks up almost everything except hazardous stuff (paint, used motor oil and so on) up to and including large pieces of furniture, they won’t take construction debris or yard waste.

Jabiru’s post reminded me - we have “kerbcrawlares” aka “scrappers” here too, people who drive through the neighborhoods on trash day and pick up anything remotely of value.

We have a Pay-As-You-Throw program for our trash – a full barrel needs a $3 sticker on the topmost bag or else it won’t be picked up. Any additional bags need a $3 sticker. If you need to dispose of an appliance or furniture, there are special stickers you must buy at Town Hall, the prices of which depend on size of what you’re disposing (a refrigerator, for example, would need a $50 sticker).

Recycling is free. When it was first introduced, the town gave every household a green bin. Now I believe you have to pay for one if you don’t wish to use your own.

The DPW yard has a monthly collection of certain items like TVs, computers, hazardous material, etc. You bring your items to the yard on the scheduled day and pay a fee. The fee keeps changing – I have no idea what it is at the moment. They will also take old books and magazines and will donate them for free.

I work for the municipal government that handles the trash pickup, so I know far far more than I need to about it.

The refuse is picked up by the City per the municipal code, so it is by law.

The amount of the charge for refuse service varies based on the amount removed by volume.

A 13gal cart 1 time per week is $33.66 per quarter, and a large metal 6yard bin 7 times per week is $8,329.32 per quarter, and we have 10 sizes in between, and ranges from 1-7 days per week.

Some people we bill through the property taxes annually as a special assessment, some are billed quarterly. Who is billed which way seems rather random, but has to do with SSN and tracking info from the collectors and who started their service when there were different policies in effect.

My landlord pays about $90 per quarter as part of the property tax.

I don’t think it’s taxed, but it has to be in specific bags, one for recycling, one for burnables, one for non-burnables. The bags are about $3.50 for 10.

Same here (different part of the UK but same deal) - trash and recycling are included in council tax. I can also take pretty much anything to the local dump/waste collection centre - Christmas trees, fridges, motor oil, electronics - for no fee, as long as I have the permit I got from the council for free (not that anyone ever asks to see it).