How does a planet explode?

first, you insert a very long tube until it just touches the core. Then, you shoot a big piece of antimatter down the tube, encased in a magnetic bottle with a timer. When the antimatter hits the core…

If the sun got hotter, it would expand depending on that temperature. (Expanding also cools it. The sun is currently in relative equilibrium.)

If you slowly heated the Earth to the temperature of the Sun, the glowing briquette would have a diameter greater than the 12,700km it currently is. It wouldn’t “fly” apart if the heating was gradual enough.

If you were some how able to suddenly heat one side of the planet several million degrees, would not the crust turn into plasma and jet away from the core?

Edit: Sorry, I just saw Star Wars Ep. IV, and was thinking of the case of Death Star v. Alderaan.

An Asteroid is not nearly enough. A Mars-sized body collided and merged with the Earth in the early days of the solar system and Earth is still here.

Some quotes from the site that Superfluous Parentheses mentioned:

Darkseid would go on to enslave the Daxamites (and force them to reshape Daxam into an image of his head), so I don’t think this really works.

That was pre-Crisis continuity, sir. I’m talking post-Crisis. That said, in the Great Darkness Saga (wonderful story, even if misnamed), Darkseid didn’t know about Daxam until he probed Mon-El’s mind, so I can imagine him having fucked with Krypton in the far-distant past before the colonists left for Daxam.

Hmmm . . . If gravity everywhere in Cislunar space were suddenly reversed – how long would it take, I wonder, for Earth’s matter to break its chemical bonds and fly every which way?

I read a book in which blobs of anti-neutronium and neutronium were dropped into the Earth - they oscillated inside the earth for a while, but friction eventually resulted in them coming to rest at the center of the Earth, and “boom”

It just takes some red matter.

The Forge of God by Greg Bear.

I don’t mean to smash it into bits – I mean that it’s better to smash an asteroid into it if you want to obliterate all life on it.

Try to keep a sense of proportion.

That won’t make it explode – it’ll just suck it into a Black Hole.
Since Red Matter can create Black Holes, you should keep it out of the reach of miners.

And how many extinction-level events has Earth’s biosphere survived so far? Several, yes?

You’d still think that in the “Federation’s Fastest Ship” - Spock could’ve evaded capture - and if a drop will do you, maybe not take so darn much with you?

What? Is this a fancy way of saying I’m an idiot?

None, if you are speaking of biosphere extinction level events. An event that kills a bunch of species like the one that killed the dinosaurs isn’t in the same league as something that renders the Earth molten again. Nothing survives if the planet is turned into a ball of magma; some scientists think that life may have arisen multiple times early in Earth’s history only to be fried along with everything else when the next impact melted the planetary surface again.

To expand: Given that making the planet fly off in many bits like a hand grenade seems a bit ludicrous even for The Force, what was mentioned in the Alderaan-type scenario was that such a thing was unnecessary, as to “destroy” a planet in the sense that’s useful to the Empire it would suffice to just drop the nearest Large Asteroid/Dwarf Planet on it. That a large lump of ferrous rock will probably still be in its orbit until the star goes RG is little consolation.

I hope I never step on him.

My bad, I meant to reply to post #39.

What’ya mean, Krypto?!

Ok, good. I don’t have to go pout. :slight_smile: