How does a prisoner hang himself in a county jail?

re: the survival instinct, if you are doing this “right,” it doesn’t come into play. By “right,” I mean you are blocking the carotid arteries, which bring oxygenated blood to the brain. You will be rendered unconscious in a matter of seconds, and the “survival instinct” normally associated with a buildup of CO[sub]2[/sub] in the lungs will never have a chance to kick in.

If you are doing it “wrong,” then you are blocking your windpipe without particularly constricting the carotid arteries, and yes, then you will slowly suffocate, and yes, after a minute or so the survival instinct (the panicky urge to draw a breath of fresh air) will kick in.

I know there’s no one answer to this question, but in general, would it make a difference if the cellmate was around or not? That is to say, would it be likely that a cellmate would hinder the suicide effort?

According to those interviewed for a report I recently wrote if you say you are suicidal someone will throw you a blade and/or distract the officers for you while encouraging you to get it done, nothing like a little entertainment to break up the day. Also most prisoners know and experience the utter bleakness and horror, a successful escape is not generally considered a tragedy. I imagine much would come down to individual friendship/religious beliefs. Sadly it can be a really bad idea to say you are in distress if you want help to not die.

ETA: the cellmate may be worried about being seen as killing you if he/she is present, that could make a difference.

I’ve seen images of individuals who simply kneel down and hang themselves from ordinary household radiators, you do not need height to hang yourself, gravity is all you need, I have also seen one individual hanging whilst sat on the floor.

I don’t intend to turn this into a ‘how to hang yourself’ thread so I will not explain how this can be done.

It should be assumed that people visiting this web page are interested in learning how to hang themselves. I am not someone who is simply assuming. Unfortunately I know from experience. My mother hung herself exactly 26 days ago. When I was finally able to pick up my 54 year old mother’s phone from the state police she had this very page open, and it was the last site she visited.

Please know that if you are someone reading this, that suicide is not the answer. You have so many people that care about you and love you, whether you realize it or not. My mother had thousands of people at her wake and maybe if she would have realized just how many lives she touched she would not have done this. I am urging you to please call someone close to you, someone that cares about you, or someone you care about, before attempting this. Let them know how you are feeling. I promise that you are loved, you are cherished, and things can get better.

Please take this advice from a heartbroken son with two younger sisters, who will never again feel the loving touch of his nurturing mother’s embrace.

Is it too soon for zombie jokes?

crickets

I’ll show myself out.

Moderating

This is pretty jerkish given the subject of the thread revival. Zombie jokes are unnecessary at the best of times. No warning issued, but this was entirely inappropriate.

I think it’s best to close this.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator