How does American food manifest in other countries?

I was surprised to see how popular KFCs are in China. The subject even has its own Wikipedia page, from which:

I don’t eat at KFC in the US so I don’t believe I ever did in China, either, so I can’t compare whether the food was the same.

Mexican food in Germany (which I’m counting here because most “Mexican” restaurants in Germany serve variations on Tex-Mex food, rather than authentic Mexican food) are usually pretty bad after the cultural permutation. For example, it’s common for them to use Dorito-style nacho flavor chips in nachos rather than regular tortilla chips.

I have a theory that KFC is so popular in China because it’s one of the few fast food restaurants that serves family style meals, which is a more common dining pattern in China. The food is more or less the same, but there are a number of China specific dishes- I seem to recall some shrimp dishes, congee, and some Chinese style soups.

Besides the fast food, in China one can find American restaurants for and by expats, most of which serve authentic American food (with a few allowances for local ingredients). Chengdu has one quite good Tex-Mex restaurant, and it used to have a southern home cooking restaurant featuring sandwiches and diner food. These restaurants, however, are not usually popular with Chinese people.

What is interesting is the uniquely Chinese “western” restuarant. Every city has a couple of them, and they are usually somewhat upscale, the sort of place you might take a date to. They are relatively expensive (at least, by small town standards), and usually fairly quiet, often on an upper floor of a building. Some also double as coffee bars (which are THE place to sneak off with a date-- some coffee bars even offer curtained off booths) serving elaborate and wildly overpriced coffee drinks. In all cases, it’s clearly an all-Chinese operation. No Westerner has ever been involved in the creation of these menus.

The food is recognizably “western” in concept, while still not quite being actual western dishes. For example, steaks often play heavily in to the menu, each topped with the fried egg that signifies “this is a western meal” in small-town China. Pizzas are common, but the most popular will always be the seafood pizza or the fruit pizza. My go-to dish was rice topped with bolognese sauce (these places always have spaghetti balognese) and cheese. It’s a completely believable dish, but just not one that is actually common in the West. For dessert, you might get deep fried dough sticks topped with powdered sugar and dipped in sweetened condensed milk. Warm Coca-Cola with ginger and lemon (surprisingly drinkable, and delightful when you have a cold) is often available.

I imagine I thought of them the same way that Chinese people probably think of American Chinese restaurants. I would go there because there were no authentic western restaurants (besides fast food) in my town and western ingredients were unavailable. None of it is particularly good, but it comes close enough to scratching an itch.

It looks reasonably American to me. :shrug: Are those raisins in the rice balls?

Ate at an “American diner” in Paris that was laughably bad. Well, not bad, but just not actually food in combinations that you’d find in the U.S. Unfortunately I can’t remember the details of what was odd.

And in Japan have had interesting fusions (natto spaghetti) but I believe that is more fusiony, knowing bastardization than any thinking it is actually American food. And it is my understanding that modern-style teppanyaki restaurants in Japan started post-war as an attempt to introduce American food items to Japanese palates (but it proved more popular with with Americans and became showier and grew into the Benihana style presentation, though Benhihana itself is an American chain).

I’ve eaten at KFC in China many times. Well, if you get a bucket of chicken, it is mainly the same, though the pieces are smaller.

They also serve fries and the main thing seems to be chicken wraps and chicken sandwiches.

But yeah, you can get a bucket of chicken and it is the same.

McDonald’s, by the way, is identical.

Back when Chi-Chi’s still existed, there was one on the post in Hanau. Chi-Chi’s is American Tex-Mex food, and it was identical to any Chi-Chi’s I’d ever gone to in the USA. And of course McDonald’s and Burger King weren’t much different either, if you ordered the regular American stuff.

As far as big chains go, in fact, they’re pretty much the same everywhere in the world, in my experience, with the addition of the localized favorites, too. Except in India, ‘cos no beef.

Internationally hotel food seems to be pretty good at just about any international cuisine. Of course big hotels rotate their people throughout the whole world, so it’s likely that the Intercontinental in Shanghai has a German running the kitchen, or the Marriott in Ahmedabad has a Canadian.

In Mexico I’ve never been to an “American” restaurant that wasn’t a chain (McDonald’s, Applebees, whatever). Certainly there are hamburger and hot dog stands, but they’re Mexican, not American. Really. Buffalo wings, too. There’s no pretense of these being American style at all.

Here in China foreign food is usually just labelled Western, although there are some Mexican, French, Italian, Irish, and for some reason, multiple German restaurants. Other than chains, I’ve never encountered a restaurant called “American.”

Here in town the Mexican and Italian are all horrible, but in a big city like Shanghai I’ve had very good versions of those cuisines. We have an awesome French restaurant, but probably the best place for steak and service that’s Western-style is a Taiwan high-end chain.

In my town in general, Western restaurants are poorly managed and the western food is mediocre at best. One of friends tells me I cook better than restaurant food (except when I try to cook Chinese), and really learned to like American food on a trip to America where it was made properly.

And then the Aussies complain that they can’t get beetroot on hamburgers in the USA, but that’s a whole other can of worms.

Weirdly Southern Europe seems to do McDonalds better than the US does, at least in my unscientific experience. Especially the stuff they add to the menu.

I was in Saarbrucken, Germany in the early 90s and there was a tex-mex restaurant next to my hotel called Casa Chihuahua which, according to the menu posted in its window, featured an entree called Carne Chihuahua. Having been away from Texas for a bit, I went in for dinner one night, mostly to find out how many chihuahuas you get in an order. Was unfortunately turned away as I had no reservation and, although the place was largely deserted, they did not have any two-tops unoccupied (Gotta love Euro dining.)

I was also disappointed with my first meal in Johannesburg when my host from the local office asked where I’d like to eat. After I stated that I’d like to try one of the local favorite restaurants, he took me to the nearest KFC.

Re Fast food places. Subway does not seem to vary one bit, the Subway near my office in Islamabad, looks and serves identical menus to the one I ate in London, Athens, Istanbul, Dubai, Paris, near Time Square.

McDonalds will have some country, or region specific items, otherwise the main menu like Big Mac and Quarter pounder basically tastes the same everywhere.

Other chains vary quite a lot, KFC can’t seem to keep the taste consistant in different restaurants in the same city.

I guess the things we eat that might count as American are burgers, hot dogs (not common) and pancakes with maple syrup.

Subway in India is pretty different. Five or six years ago, I had a paneer tikka masala sandwich at the Subway in the Calcutta airport.

Since the vegetarian/omnivore divide can be pretty big in India, there are separate veg and non-veg menus. Here’s the veg menu, which includes such all-American dishes as the aloo patty sandwich and the corn and peas sandwich.

The non-veg options are divided into “traditional” (a subset of what an American Subway might offer) and “local,” which includes chicken tikka, chicken tandoori, and chicken seekh subs.

BTW–KFC is popular in the Philippines, though it’s considered kind of upscale. A KFC meal isn’t cheap by Philippine standards.

KFCs in the Philippines are like those in the US from several decades ago. It’s as if there’s a fast food time warp there.

It was pretty common in Japan, too; it was explained to me that fried chicken actually translates pretty well across cultures, with no cultural or religious taboos like beef, pork or horse, or stuff considered dangerously foreign or weird like frog or octopus. It was relatively easy to import the concept whole with only a few local tweaks.

‘American food’ is franachised food?

When I was in Scotland many years ago, I ate at Uncle Buck’s, which billed itself as an “American Restaurant”. The name itself is interesting, involking not only slang for American dollars, but also the John Candy movie and, I suspect, American country folk in general (even though Candy’s character lived in the city).

The food was a (somewhat gristly) strip steak, American-style French Fries, and some vegetable. IIRC, drink was beer or soda. For dessert I had an ice cream sundae made with vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup. The chocolate syrup was unconvincing – it wasn’t even brown.

I have eaten at KFC in China several times. The chicken is similar, but I thought it had a slightly different taste than an American KFC. The mashed potatoes do have gravy, but are still very bland.

Their fries are fantastic, though.

:eek:
That sounds disgusting.

Pakistan has this

I honestly don’t know why anyone would go to a Subway to eat chicken tikka.

I ate at the Subway in Dublin, and it seemed exactly like the ones in the US.

That’s actually interesting, in a way. I think that when we got a soda in that Subway it was the only time we were ever given ice in a drink in Ireland.

(If we had stopped in some other American franchise over there we might also have gotten ice, but we were avoiding American places – we were vacationing in Ireland, after all. We wanted to experience the local cuisine. But we were tired and footsore at that point, and wanted to sit down and get something to drink. Irish establishments wouldn’t give you ice unless you specifically asked for it, and often not even then.)

I had some relatives from Italy come out here a while back and they asked for an "authentic Cowboy* meal and my dad and I made slow smoked beef brisket, pork ribs, baked beans, cole slaw…and served a huge platter of ears of corn on the cob.

They were aghast–apparently to the, corn on the cob is “pig food” in Florence. And when everyone began eating it they were stunned. They really, really thought we were pulling their legs.

*We’re in Colorado. Therefore…cowboys. Right?

I get the point of wanting to sample local cuisne, but sometimes after a long day in a strange land, familiarity is pleasent and Subway and McDonalds are reliable and conistant (and the food is actually quite tasty and filling).
(And no its not just Americans who seek out the local McDonalds when overseas, but shhh don’t let that get out amongst your countrymen, we may no longer be able to guilt trip them into eating <insert disgusting thing here>) :wink:

:smiley: