How does American food manifest in other countries?

Sure there is. I’ve eaten it.

Schnitzel is a dish popular in Germany and Austria (and elsewhere), but you’re right about Wiener Schnitzel being a Viennese specialty.

Well, here in America, the word “pepperoncini” doesn’t mean “little pepperoni,” even though it sounds like it should.

Things haven’t changed much. I just met a German exchange student last week. He told his host family he wanted to take weekend trips to see NYC, Florida, the Grand Canyon and Hollywood. His host dad explained that all but one of those are farther than anywhere in Europe would be from his home, and not possible except for major, long vacations.

What, you don’t have planes in America?

(Hey I never said it would be cheap):smiley:

Actually, you can get bacon cheeseburgers just about everywhere in Tel Aviv. American-style bar and grills and burger joints are ubiquitous here, and virtually none of them are kosher.

The night before we were to fly back home from a vacation in Ireland, a friend and I were busy organizing and packing, and wanted something quick and easy for dinner. So I got a pizza from a Domino’s in the Ballsbridge neighborhood of Dublin. The only “exotic” thing about it was the Irish accent of the Asian manager.

Another friend of mine was justifiably proud of finding pancakes and bacon in Istanbul. During Ramadan.

Some years ago (about 15) I was in Ireland and got a hankering for spaghetti with a nice red meat sauce. I couldn’t even adequately describe it to the guys at the hostel I was staying in. They were baffled. So instead of going to a restaurant, one of them took me to a grocery store, where I was able to get all the ingredients to make it for them. They loved it, but continued to insist that there was nothing like it in their experience.

A few days later, I did spot it in a menu in another town, called simmering like American Spaghetti, and…No. I understand the problem. It was creative, but the sauce was like watery ketchup and it had slices of meat of indeterminate origin, with no seasonings that I could discern. And it was served over egg noodles.

For all I know, it was closer to authentic Italian than what I make, but it wasn’t American style spaghetti at all.

On my second morning ever in Japan, we woke up so early that Denny’s (in Ginza, of all places) was the only thing open. We decided to wait another half-hour for the McDonald’s to open. The Egg McMuffin, hash browns and coffee were exactly what you’d get in the states, but the service was stereotypically perfect, and the restaurant was spotlessly clean. The only downside was the substantial and poorly-isolated smoking section; Japan still has a long way to go on that front.

Had we stuck around for lunch, we could have gotten shrimp burger, something you don’t see in the states.

Not much of a stretch for Japan; they had kara-age before American fried chicken ever showed up.

Heh. Not what I would look for in Istanbul, but a fun story, nonetheless.

By the way, beef bacon is amazing and I actually prefer it to the piggy variety. Not the easiest to find, however.

Eh, during Ramadan, a lot of folks eat big breakfasts (before the sun comes up) to tide them over until sunset. I don’t know if pancakes or something like them are a traditional breakfast food in Istanbul, but I wouldn’t be surprised if some folks have adopted them. And bacon would be no problem at all, if it’s from a clean animal.

Plus, of course, the places catering to non-Muslims (or nonobservant ones).

That’s on my to-eat list now.

Other Dopers can verify whether this is still the case, but when I visited Thailand in the early 90s, I found several restaurants that served “American fried rice,” which was fried rice with a fried egg on top. I’ve never really thought of fried eggs as a quintessentially American dish.

Hamburgers in Brazil I’ve found to be hit-or-miss, at least at non-chain restaurants. I’ve never tried McDonald’s, etc. while there, because why the hell would you? But that sort of chain-restaurant fast food has grown immensely popular there, coincident with a rising number of Brazilians growing immense.

Surprisingly, I had one of the best hamburgers of my entire life last December in Paris, at a brasserie that served mostly Basque food.

Bodean’s is very nice indeed but it’s on par with Famous Dave’s - it’s good eating but it’s a chain and thus not comparable with your local “shack with the roasting pit” real BBQ place.

Also, it’s on the menu at Nando’s.

In the UK, an “American pizza” is a pepperoni pizza. “American Hot” is pepperoni and jalapenos.

The worst example of food labelled as “American” I’ve tried is “American Ginger Ale”, which inexplicably contains sugar AND three different artificial sweeteners. I don’t know why they’ve done this, but it’s disgusting.

Oh! I thought of one. I haven’t really been abroad, but we love international supermarkets and always pick up lots of odd goodies.

One of the more memorable whims was a Russian knock-off of SPAM. Holy cow, I didn’t know you could make something that bad exponentially worse. Don’t know enough Russian to make sense of the ingredient list, but there was something very, very wrong about that food.

Yeah, that just makes no sense at all. A lot of people find some artificial sweetener or another to be unpalatable, and including three of them is almost sure to be unpalatable to everyone. Plus, of course, turning off the folks who don’t want real sugar either.

Calling a pepperoni pizza “American”, though, is perfectly reasonable.

I’ve visited Thailand a dozen or more times the last four years, and I now think of fried egg at any meal as quintessentially Thai. Most of the dishes at my two company work locations’ canteens have a fried egg as part of the dish.

The fried (chicken) egg on top of some other dish (such as steak) is something I’ve seen in Japanese manga occasionally. I’m not sure to what degree I’ve seen it live and in person in the West; it seems much less common.

IMHO, the main way that America has infiltrated the Australian food scene is the ginormous serves that now grace our plates.

At least for the working classes, a ‘serve’ now would be enough to feed a family…a chicken parma that is bigger than your average chicken, a side of chips (fries) enough to cause a local potato famine, and of course the ubiquitous salad on the side that nobody eats because it’s drowned in dressing and who eats chunky tomatoes anyway?

Please, tone down your servings Aussies…because I take one look at the food on my plate and suddenly develop a dose of anorexia. We don’t NEED so much food…if we’re hungry afterwards, we can order a dessert or something…

PLEASE??

Yes, those are raisins. American fried rice is actually a tasty dish. But yes, it was a Vietnam War-era local addition. In fact, I recall reading somewhere that it was invented specifically by a Thai cook at the US military base at Nakhon Ratchasima in the Northeast, from where many missions against North Vietnam were flown. Or Korat, as the province is commonly known. (So many servicemen settled in the area after the war that the main town had an actual VFW post. It may still be there today for all I know,)

American food in Thailand has improved vastly over the years. Twenty or 30 years ago, you had to pay big bucks at a fancy steak house or five-star hotel to eat anything that might resemble good American fare. Otherwise it was just McDonald’s crap and gummy white bread. Today though, it’s not difficult to find good American dishes at a reasonable price, at least in Bangkok. And in major cities upcountry. Found some good American stuff in Chiang Mai and even Mae Hong Son in the North in July. A good friend has lived in Roi Et in the Northeast for almost 25 years, and when he first moved there, it was just Thai food. Now there are reasonable facsimiles of American food and even a German and French restaurant, owned and operated by an actual German and Frenchman, respectively.