How does Google maps update road changes?

as a not really related aside; as a truck driver, I’m near-constantly using Navigation on my phone. Being an Android, it uses Google Maps. It shows traffic congestion, as different colors on the map; blue is best, yellow is slower, and red is the worst.
I kept wondering how they were so up-to-the-minute about this, until it occurred to me that Google is on damned near every phone out there. They see every single one of them, as a dot on a map. These dots are what gives Google all the traffic info they need. The realization of this, and subsequent visualization, blew my mind.

I’m surprised by this. Works by the county GIS department don’t end up in the public domain automatically? I didn’t realize you could copyright geographic data like that – it’s not a map, right, just lists of coordinates? Does your city own the copyright for it?

All the cities I’ve bothered looking up GIS stuff for just had all their shapefiles and the such available for download on some small website, and often also listed on some county/state/federal listing of GIS resources (which I just assumed that Google would crawl or otherwise get).

Edit: I guess wiki says only federal works are public domain, and the rest are up to states:

Also, Google has a Local Guides program that invites people to submit corrections, new places, reviews, and photos in exchange for minor perks:
https://www.google.com/local/guides/

Mainly it’s just the satisfaction of knowing you’re helping other folks navigate and find places (especially in small towns that don’t have regular Google car coverage), but you also get invited to random meetups, participate in beta tests for new products/services, and I guess at the highest levels (500+ submissions) be part of some sort of elite circle of OCD wannabe-Googlers…

Another source for such information is the Post Office. Every new development has houses or businesses that will want to get their mail delivered, so they will be sure to notify the post office of these new addresses. (Often, the post office works with them to assign the specific addresses.)

The whole postal address database is available for purchase, and at pretty reasonable rates – all the junk mail companies can afford it. (The post office keeps it cheap – they want people to use valid mailing addresses.) Google can certainly afford to use postal info.