How Fascism Starts

Al Gore campaigned for his father’s Senate campaign in uniform. See November 1970 in this timeline.

Wow, that Al Gore is quite a guy. Started fascism and invented the Internet!

Those in the know recall that a) the “invented the internet” shtick was a misquote and b) as Senator, Al Gore pushed for funding for the “Information Superhighway” as it was called back then. Gore was a saavy and publically spirited politician.

I recall that Reagan wore a military uniform in 1980 when he was campaigning. This was entirely legal as a) he wasn’t enrolled in the armed forces at the time and in fact b) he had never been enrolled in the armed forces.

But his official biographer, Edwin Morris assures us, “[Reagan] certainly loved–learned and loved-- to wear a uniform. To act like a soldier. To salute properly. There was nothing he enjoyed more as President than saluting. As commander in chief, he would do that little extra flip to the salute, which you hardly ever see in the Armed Services anyway, it was a real Hollywood salute. But it meant a great deal to him.”

One of those was actually done by one of his army of robotic clones.

Even if that were true, one can’t assume that everytime someone says “this is no big deal” that it’s the start of fascism. I believe that is the fallacy of affirming the consequent*. Somethings actually are no big deal, and do not lead to fascism.

I don’t think you’re going to get many people to say that politicizing the military is a good thing. But if you want to pit the politicizing of the military, you’ll need a better example, becaue this one picture could have many different explanations.

*If A, then B. B, theferfore A.

No. Fascism starts when a group of people decide to organize a government based on a popular appeal to ethnic heritage led by (and devoted to) a charismatic leader, then organizes a cooperative venture betweem major industry and the state that includes a militarized economy along with the suppression of many human rights.

It does not start when a couple of poorly informed local guys happen to get trotted out by a political group when we do not even know whether their military superiors intend to discipline them for a rather minor infraction of military regulations.

I have a hard time envisioning one gunny and a buck sergeant staging a coup of the U.S. Government from some boondock GOP meeting.

Incidentally, when W “Flyboy” Bush donned military gear (remember, “Mission Accomplished!”) Dana Milbank noted that it was rather unseemly, historically speaking, “As for wearing military garb, the experts I checked with said it is unlikely any president had done that since Teddy Roosevelt, and that was before such images would be broadcast into millions of homes. Even true military figures, such as Eisenhower, avoided wearing uniform as president.

Emphasis added.

What Reagan are you talking about? The one who was President joined the Army reserve in 1935 and was activated in 1942. He wasn’t in combat, though; he made army training and propaganda films.

Didn’t know that freido. According to Reagan’s Official Timeline, you are correct.

A protest is held over world trade policies. Windows are smashed and a car is overturned. Someone declares that this is how violent revolution and anarchy start.

Compare and contrast with the OP.

Of all the pictures of soldiers available recently, that’s the one that concerns you? The worst thing from that site I can find is that people would eat something called a Do-si-dos.

Fascism debate aside, I agree with the OP. This is clearly in violation of the directive. It’s no big deal. I suppose our other documents of law and directives are no big deal as well. Lets just break all the rules! :dubious:

I love you. :smiley:

Yes, but is a flight-suit a “uniform”?

You are perilously close to profaning the scared Girl Scout Cookies. And that, my friend, is the beginning of fascism.

Hah! Can you envision an unemployed former corporal staging a coup of the German government from some dumpy Munich watering-hole?

Um…never mind, that one didn’t work out.

No; however, a flight suit is the appropriate safety gear for the particular aircraft in which the individual wearing said suit was being transported.

Can we finally drop that particular canard?

Actually, I should’ve said that it’s not necessarily a uniform.

Re: the OP. Perhaps you could enlighten us as to what the Marines’ actual role in that particular event was? Perhaps you could also ascertain whether they were still serving or if they were veterans who were wearing their uniforms (IIRC, vets may wear their uniforms for certain occasions)? Perhaps you could also ascertain if they were, as mentioned above, receiving an award–either personal awards or awards for their unit–from the group hosting the event?

You must have very, very, very long legs.