How fussy are you about audio?

I’ve recently set up a 5.1 DVD-Audio system and it sounds A-MAY-zing. The Beatles “LOVE” album is sooooo great…
But I got my iPod too and that’s fine for its purpose.

I’m not fussy about audio at all. My computer has cheap speakers that suit me just fine. No car, broken iPod. Of course, I seldom listen to music, and my hearing isn’t that great to begin with.

I don’t notice the difference between 192kb+ mp3 and CDs.

A side question. Has anyone listened to the Oasis - Definitely Maybe cd? Did you find that it was very filled with noise?

Like some of the other posters here, my set-up is a mixture. I have a nice Yamaha reciever…I’m at the upper end of the low-end scale. After that it goes up to the $3k range…which is only mid-price for recievers. I don’t have any speakers in the house right now…I’m waiting to get B&W’s for the living room surround sytem…but I can’t justify the price right now. Probably in a couple of months. I do have a set of B&W’s for the upstairs porch, I just haven’t gotten around to installing them yet.

I’ve ripped all my CD’s to .mp3 at anywhere between 128kps and 192kps. I don’t go any higher than that, as I can’t tell the difference. I changed out the factory car stereo, but that is just because I wanted XM and an external connection for my mp3 player. Speakers are stock.

I’m kind of an audio snob, but not an expensive one. I like to get the most bang for my buck and my wife HATES when I have to pause a movie to fiddle with the amp or whatever. I mostly listen to metal so the compression isn’t as noticable, but I do have a bunch of CDs I ripped way back in the day at 128kbs and I find them to be almost unlistenable to the point that I may go back and re rip them at 192. Anything over 192 though, I can tell a slight difference, isn’t worth it to me due to the increase in file size. I absolutely LOVE having 300+ full CDs on my Ipod/Zune and haven’t put a CD in my truck for at least 3-4 years now. It’s so convienient I could never go back to a book of CDs.

Put it this way: The fact that my car stereo is Bose elicited a very “excited” “Huh.” from me.