How good was Bo Jackson in his prime?

Buck O’Neil always talked about how he would love to sit at a baseball game, close his eyes, and just listen to the game on the field. He could tell how good a hitter was by the sound of the ball off the bat. There were three players who hit the ball harder and with more explosiveness than anyone else. Babe Ruth and Josh Gibson he’d heard while playing in the Negro Leagues and barnstorming. He’d also seen plenty of Willie Mays and Hank Aaron, but it wasn’t until Bo Jackson started playing did he get to hear that sound again.

As a Royals fan, I also saw plenty of Bo in his prime. He was just a spectacle to watch. I wasn’t old enough to really evaluate his route running or his base stealing efficiency - but the crowd showed up for him, and it always seemed he did something amazing each day.

Anecdotally, it was said that he was so athletic and powerful that he could jump straight up out of a waist-deep pool of water. I don’t know how real that is, but I bet Brian Bosworth wouldn’t argue its veracity.