How is it that Phantom of the Opera is the most financially successful entertainment event ever?

I can’t tell you if the cast will move with the show, but I’m fairly confident you won’t be disappointed. Don’t worry about the chandelier. It’s still fun. :wink:

They are including, at the least, film and theatre, as no film has made anywhere close to $5.6 Billion. I don’t know much about music sales but I can’t imagine anything in music getting near that number either, so yeah “most successful entertainment event” does seem to encompass all of the arts.

Remember–stage shows play in multiple venues, sometimes for years at a time. Or, in the case of Phantom, decades. While the show is very expensive to produce, the audience makes it worthwhile. By 2011 The Phantom of the Opera had been seen by over 130 million people in 145 cities in 27 countries.

I forget how many times I’ve seen Phantom. I know it’s over 20 but I lost track around 16. I’ve seen many of the milestone Broadway performances (the day it became the longest running show, the 10,000th show, the 25th Anniversary, etc.)

(Myself with Hal Prince after the 23rd Anniversary.) :wink:

129,999,979…and Eyebrows of Doom. :wink:

Seriously, there’s some of the answer. I know of no other show that garners so many rabid repeat fans. That’s got to push the numbers up.

That’s “Phans,” darling. Yes, that’s how POTO fanatics refer to themselves in print: Phantom Phans.

And Starlight Express fanatics are “StEx trainvesites.”

It’s easy to see why it beat out Cats, at least. Cats has only the barest semblance of a story, so anyone interested in that will stay away. Cat-haters will avoid it because they’ll assume that the characters are cats, and cat-lovers will avoid it because they’ll learn that they aren’t (Eliot understood cats, but Weber clearly understood neither cats nor Eliot). Pretty much all that’s left is the big singing spectacular, and it is good for that, but… Well, every Broadway show has that.

Phantom has the spectacle, but it also has a story (yes, a simple one, but still far more than Cats), and thrills, and visual effects, and romance: There’s something for everyone there. Plus, the music is (I think) better than any of Weber’s other works.

Versus Les Miserables, I think it could really go either way, since it also has all of those things.

Most successful entertainment event would include any single video game, work of art, movie, TV Show etc.

However, calling it a single “event” is a bit silly in my estimation.

So if we include any recurring entertainment event, then, how do you compare it against something like Seinfeld original run + syndication? Surely that would be in the billions too, eh? It’s hard to judge how much money a TV show pulls in because you don’t sell individual tickets to TV shows for every time they are viewed and often times the details of the syndication deals and commercial sales are kept private.

Does ot “deserve” its success??!!

If this was a play showing in the old Soviet Union or in China, and attending it and paying the ticket rate was seen as a demonstration of party loyalty, then there might be an argument that it doesn’t deserve it.

Otherwise, yes.

I saw it in Chicago last week. When the chandelier drops, it also shoots out pieces of fake glass (some sort of gelatin). My girlfriend got smacked in the face by one piece. Not painful in any way but certainly surprising.

some news that may interest my fellow fans (i don’t use “phans”, It’s kinda lame imo):the broadway show is going to have Norm Lewis playing the phantom starting in may. it’ll be the first time the title role is played by a black actor in the broadway production.

i love Norm Lewis so i’m happy to hear this. i’m most familiar with him as Javert from Les Mis. i’ve never seen him in a live show though. i have got to get up to new york to see this at some point.

All six of them?

I kid. I love Starlight. Saw it in Vegas and they had cut U.N.C.O.U.P.L.E.D.

(heh, I’m standing in the lobby of the Majestic hearing the performance going on inside the house as I write this.)

Norm Lewis!!! When I read that bit of news this morning I was so thrilled!! I have wanted to see Norm as the Phantom for years!!

I’d also love to see Hugh Panaro (the current Phantom Norm is taking over from) in another role as he is amazing and has been in Phantom for quite a while now.

Well it’s finally closing February, 18, 2023

Airbnb is celebrating ‘The Phantom of the Opera’ with a one-night stay at Palais Garnier | CNN

one night of your life for 37 euros. really has some great things lined up for that night.

Closed yesterday.

Had tickets to see it last month, about 50 hrs after her mom died. Luckily they gave me my money back when I called (the morning before she passed) but wasn’t able to find another time, at a reasonable cost, to go. Box office was selling them at over $500 a piece at the end.

I’ve never seen it, but I have a question: When the mask comes off in the musical, does she reel with horror? It’s a pretty small mask, so the disfigurement wouldn’t be that severe, I wouldn’t think.

It’s a bit over the top gross so that it reads to the audience. Exposed skull and deformed lips.

Here’s Michael Crawford’s and Dave Willetts’ original makeup.

Here’s the unmasking scene.
Unmasking scene

So, it’s not this musical, any more, is it?

Grand Theft Auto V is one of the most profitable pieces of entertainment media now, isn’t it?

It’s been out a decade and is still a massive source of income for the company that made it. So much, no sequel has been released in those 10 years.