How is the U.S.S. Leopard pronounced?

It’s a high school history teacher thing. We had one who taught us about King Nebuchadnezzar - or, as he pronounced it, “Neboo-SHAD-nez-ar”

No, it’s jagulars that hang around in trees. And when you look up, they drop on you.

:smack:

Morpheus’s ship in The Matrix is named that, as it happens. But they don’t pronounce it that way.

what about jag-you-are-s from nick-are-ag-you-uh

Thirty years ago as an Admiralty civil servant (more or less) I heard this ship called “Sir Jerr-aynt”. The (Welsh) name “Geraint” is usually pronounced with a G as in biG, the second vowel is “eye” and the stress falls on the first syllable.

No, no, no.

You’re thinking of leg-warmers.

Was the ship made of alu-mini-um?

Aluminium is a bad analogy given the word is spelled differently and both pronunciations logically follow the spellings.

…preferring it to me original 'andle, “Panther”!

In the Hornblower books the French vessel Deux Freres is pronounced “Duke’s Freers”. Among other things, it prevented confusion.
It wouldn’t surprise me at all if “Leopard” had been pronounced “LEE-oh-pard”. Small groups, especially specialized ones often indulge in their own apparently eccentric pronunciations. It wouldn’t be a big stretch.

Yes. Similarly in WW1 Ypres was commonly known as “Wipers”, Plougsteert Wood as “Plugstreet”, and so on.

Yes, but a high school teacher in the late 20th century would not be one of those people! Unless Highlander was really a documentary. :wink: