How long does an estate exist after someone dies?

Picasso, the richest man in Europe? In somebody’s dreams. Settling his inheritance was complicated because of interests and property in multiple locations and of his messy personal life. He had a will, but it didn’t cover everything correctly, and there were properties (mainly portables, such as art) whose ownership was unclear to begin with. Also, there was enough of a fandom that items which normally wouldn’t be considered for anything other than “trash, keep or give to goodwill” could be worth millions.

a TV show mentioned Einstein still pulling in cash but I guess that is no longer true based on the court case listed above. I think it was 60 minutes or a similar show.

This article from 2006 says Einstein estate was still getting money that year.

Cobain is the new Elvis

True as far as it goes.

But IMO it *is *worth us self-appointed ignorance fighters pointing out the distinctions between colloquial and technical usage and talking about both. It’s not obvious to me which one the OP meant nor whether he/she was even aware of the distinction.

Yes, language is a blunt and imprecise tool. That doesn’t mean we’re limited to encouraging chopping down trees using the flat side of the axe. The sharp side works so much better. IMO pointing that out is worthwhile.

I am aware of the use of the word “estate” only in the sense of an entity which holds and administers a person’s assets and liabilities after death prior to distribution to heirs. I cannot find any other dictionary definition that loosens this up to mean “some vague notion of wherever someone’s assets end up after they are inherited by heirs.”

If I thought that there were any other meaning then I would never have needed to ask this question. I am still not sure what the article actually meant.

He.

One of my pet peeves involves people citing the dictionary as an authority on current usage.

Dictionaries are always behind on usage, deliberately so. They compile and file variant usages and new meanings until they feel that they are both sufficiently established and sufficiently widespread that people will feel the need to know them. Only then do they add them to the core definitions. New words are fairly easy to add, which is why there are annual articles about new words being added. You almost never see articles about a sixth meaning added to the current five. That’s a lower priority and frankly skimped upon because it isn’t good clickbait. (Clickbait isn’t in my spell checker, though it’s used even more widely than this meaning of estate. Nothing trying to pin down language is ever up-to-date. Even Urban Dictionary lags.)

I’ve been seeing this additional meaning of estate for years, now that celebrity estates are huge financial deals. If it’s not yet in dictionaries, then that’s a mark against them.

Well, so sorry to peeve you. I wasn’t citing it to give authority to my interpretation. I was hoping to be enlightened, and I wasn’t. As I said before, I have not heard this usage in spite your years of experience, hence the motivation for my OP.