How long to die from puncture?

I’m gonna quibble with both examples here. If anything, damage to the ventricle (main heart pumping chamber for those who may not know the word) leads to low blood pressure; through one of direct damage to the pump, arrhythmia, or cardiac tamponade. And, in addition to a stroke which would have no large effect on BP, carotid injury would lead to low heart rate or blood loss, both of which would tend to lower BP.

Speaking of Hollywood, I think it was in the original Lonesome Dove series - they had the good guy trapped behind his dead horse. The bad guys are standing just out of range, and see his bullets hit the dust not far in front. One starts dancing and taunting him, so our hero loads up a round, aims up at about a 45 degree angle, and - plop - the taunter ends up with a bullet hole in the belly. Cut to scenes of drunken carousing as the rest of them live it up around the campfire safely out of range, as the stupid target practice guy dies slowly and in agony. For good measure, every so often one of the other guys kicks him to justify their bad guy credentials. By morning, he’s dead.

Also - When JPII was shot in the Vatican square, then rushed him to hospital where a concern was infection from multiple punctures of the intestines.

Lots of people are shot or stabbed and survive. It depends on the promptness of medical attention, luck or skill in the initial wound placement, as mentioned above. Like being hit on the head and going unconscious, it does not work as simple as Hollywood wants us to believe.

I’ve both caused this and been a victim of this. The former happened while practicing the rear naked choke hold in Army basic training. The latter happened when my brother came home from basic training and jokingly demonstrated being “part of the club” by choking me out. I hit the floor in less than a second and didn’t wake up for another…well, I don’t know. I was unconscious. 10 seconds, maybe?

Anyway, the point is Blake’s contention of “almost instant” is quite accurate.

Thanks to all for the great discussion - particularly drachillix for the real world anecdotes.

And, of course, if people didn’t generally fall over dead immediately, the whole plan would be ruined when the element of surprise is lost.

Try reading about the near-assassination of Ronald Reagan. He very nearly died, but walked into the hospital.

Yea, but its much cooler to rip the arrow out your own chest and stab a couple of orcs to death with it.

Gut shot used to be universally known as fatal. If you didn’t bleed to death from a chest wound, it could heal. But gut shot typically means the intestinal contents contaminate the abdominal cavity, leading to peritonitis, gangrene, and death.

A slow, PAINFUL death. Some gut shot victims were known to take their own lives, to avoid the inevitable.
~VOW

Good post.

You didn’t get choked to sleep in one second. 7-9 seconds before unconsciousness sets in due to collapsing the carotid arteries. It’s not instantaneous.

I saw what you did there.