How long will the Sudoku craze last?

Quiet!

They’ll hear you. :smiley: (I see a GSN Sudoku show in our future.)

Crosswords are for people who can’t handle cryptic crosswords.

Number Place. It’s original name. I’ve thought about it and I probably have been doing them for about 20 years since that’s when I started buying Dell. At least I assume so, I can’t recall doing anything but the ones where you place words into grids. Not Add-Ins but the ones with lots of empty space between the words.

I agree Paint by Numbers is the best puzzle game. Although the fancy ones and the ones on the web kinda take the fun out of it. You really need a paper and a pencil to do them. I love the big 50 x 50 grids. I don’t think you can do those in the newspaper though. I don’t think the paper is strong enough.

Cross Sums, my second favorite, would work well in newspapers.

But the smart thing to do is to have a variety of puzzles so that every day is different. Otherwise you get bored easily.

Kakuro.

Which has been given a Japanese name to cash in on the latest fad – we’ve been running these for decades as “Cross Addition” puzzles. :rolleyes:

Hey, it’s business. If they can get the suckers^h^h^h customers to buy the book and do five of the puzzles, it will be fine.

I’ve done them for years also - and a book full seems like way too many. So, the Japanese name is totally made up, or do they run in Japan under this name?

Our big Sudoko craze started sometime around June last year and is, as I experience, to fade down, though there are still a lot of Sudoko books and papers and electronic gadgets about. I think the novelty factor can kill it somewhat: a crossword puzzle can personal and unique, but the sense of familiarity is also selling: you can skim through a magazine and see the well-known Sudoko square and go: “Oh! I haven’t done one of these in a while!”.

I expect the trend to go down and some other form of puzzle to briefly rise (possible in a couple of months or so) then it will cool down.