How many books are in your personal library?

Goodreads says 128. There might be a few that aren’t in there. Especially reference books, cook books and such.

Same tool says I’ve read 1713.

Hey!

This Barbarian is paid to write for a living.

A couple hundred at most.

I used to have thousands. I’ve gotten rid of thousands. My allergies thank me.

I put down 2500-5000. Just a guess, but it has to be in that range. In addition to bookcases in practically every room, I have boxes in three rooms downstairs as well as the attic.
One reason science fiction and mystery fans tend to retain their books is that libraries are notoriously bad at keeping older copies of such genre books (Westerns and thrillers and sea stories romance novels are probably the same). And once books go out of print, they’re gone. Aside from specialty publishers, I haven’t seen a book by Fredric Brown – either mystery or sf/fantasy – in a bookstore for [y]years*. Even until about 1990 I could count on seeing at least one. Now they’re even gone from the few used book sellers. You can find a few Asimovs, Clarkes, Herberts, and Heinleins, but even most of the other older classic SF novelists and short story writers have evaporated.

So if you don’t maintain your own collection, or you can’t download the e-book version, you’re out of luck.

By the way, not all e-book versions are the same. Annotated editions, translations of Verne, and unbowdlerized (and politically incorrect) copies of Robert E, Howard works are not easy to come by.

Yes, yes he does. Or at least multiple rooms with books. Large rooms. With many books. The sort of rooms where you can’t tell if the walls are painted or papered, the books cover all.

I have several thousand books but his collection very much dwarfs mine. Mine is a Dwarf, his collection is an Ent. I keep hoping he’ll drop by this thread.

Not just one wall.

All hallways are lined with bookshelves.

Every room has at least one bookcase, some several.

I also have some books packed in boxes, which rotate on and off the shelves every few years.

Plus I have all my late husband’s books. His collection was not as extensive, but it added a few hundred to the total.

A dozen at most.

I read a fair amount, but most of what I read comes from the library. When I do get a physical book, I donate it after reading. The exception is a couple of coffee table books I keep as décor.

A lot of mine are service manuals for cars I don’t own, or won’t work on anyway. :rolleyes:

I estimate our (wife & I) total stash at 300. It used to be closer to 3000 but we’ve been deliberately shrinking the collection since about 1997.

At the high point I think it was about 2/3rds mine and 1/3rd hers but the ratio is reversed now. Why? No time for books when there’s an SDMB to participate in. Fortunately she doesn’t share this particular vice.

Since about 2005 we’ve been far more likely to buy a book, read it, then promptly sell or donate it vs. keeping it. IMO it’s pointless and in fact harmful to simply hoard a book as a badge of honor vs. passing it on so somebody else can get the same benefit of reading it. Some small few of our new purchases are kept; most are moved out promptly.

Around 1000, it turns out, so naturally I voted 1000-2500. :wink:

It deeply saddens me to say this, but when moving last year from a very large house filled with bookshelves to a tiny apartment with little storage for anything, I had to donate my several thousand books to a local library to either use or pass forward to Goodwill. I kept one small box of autographed books and a handful of titles where either my husband or myself was credited in the acknowledgements. I still get tearful thinking about ut. I loved being surrounded by actual, physical volumes.

My library isn’t what it used to be :frowning:

I used to have easily 400 books, at least half being sci-fi related. With every move the collection has shrunk to the point where I’m now on the low side of the 100-250 range.

But my library grew a little bit today. I added three after a visit to Recycle Bookstore this afternoon: One For The Road by Tony Horwitz, Least-Heat Moon’s PrairyErth: A Deep Map and The Who: 50 Years: The Official History.

I haven’t counted, just making a reasonable guess of between 1000 and 2500.

Sorry! Literate barbarians excepted. :slight_smile:

Conan the Librarian.

I mostly read ebooks now, but I still have my library of 5 big bookshelves packed full of books, so I’m estimating 500-1000. There’s only a few dozen I regularly look at (cookbooks, reference books, history/science books, etc.) – the rest I’m saving (having already read) both for my kids and because I like to have lots of books around.

Oh geez, I forgot cookbooks…

I’ve probably owned thousands in my lifetime, but now I’m sure I’m down to less than 500 actual paper books, several hundred more ebooks. No room for the hard copies.

I guessed I have between 5 to 10,000 books. It might be more. I am downsizing it gradually, and most of my new acquisitions are in Kindle form.

I love my libraries, especially the upstairs one, with its rolling ladder to reach the upper shelves. But eventually I will move, in a decade or so when I simplify my life. And frankly, a lot of the books I have are not worth keeping. I acquired a lot of tripe over the decades. Clive Cussler, Piers Anthony, Lynn Johnston, EriK Von Daniken, two copies of Coffee, Tea, or Me? etc. What was I thinking? :rolleyes:

Plus, all the outdated medical books gathering dust. Not quaint or historically significant, just old and no longer how things are done.

I’m pretty sure my wife and I don’t have more than 1000 books, so I checked the 500-1000 choice. I’m on vacation, 800 miles from our house, so I can’t be absolutely sure.