How many Dopers use old OSs?

I’m using 98 SE and am basically happy with it, but now that MS and ZA are both going to stop supporting it, I might bite the bullet and go kicking and screaming to XP. I don’t want to, though :frowning:

As long as I’m here, has anyone (who has?) upgraded from 98 SE to XP had any particular problems in doing so? I really hate to “fix” something that’s not majorly broken.

Thanks!

Speaking as an IT pro: Ensure you run the XP hardware check first. If your machine is older or built out of spare parts, it mat not work with XP.

Thanks for the info!

It shouldn’t be a problem because I could have put XP on this machine, but specifically decided on using 98 SE again because I’d heard it was more friendly toward some of the games I was playing.

I will certainly check it out though! :smiley:

I have a working Commodore 64C, dead Commodore 64, and a Commodore 128D that needs its power switch replaced.

Larry Muddmight know, he once linked a screenshot of how the Dope looks in that monochrome blue but the link was dead last I checked.

Windows 98 and Mac System 7.5. :frowning:

I use a ten year old Macintosh 7500 running OS 9.1. It’s a dual boot system that also has Yellow Dog Linux 2.0 installed. It also has an Apple IIGS emulator that I use for old Apple II games. I’ve upgraded the processor and added memory and a larger hard drive, but it’s still basically a ten year old Macintosh.

Not problems as much as just annoyances. I still liked Win 3.11 best of any (and I started with v 1.0), but finally went to 95, then to 98SE. A little tweaking and I had 98 looking and working just like 3.1. :smiley:

I was also totally happy with it, although on my laptop and desktops, it did crash a couple of times. As I had complete backups on a Maxtor, no problem in getting them back to where they were.

The things about XP that ticked me off were having to register it, the fact that practically every task requires more keystrokes or clicks, for no logical reason they changed all sorts of things around so had to waste time learning the new procedures. I like to use shortcuts of all sorts, utility programs, et al and most would not work with XP.

I was lucky that my printers, external drives, scanners, etc all worked, but many people with older ones had to spend a huge amount fo time getting new drivers and fooling around to get them to work.

I did find that things like the new Start menu and other things could be changed back to the “classic” style as it was in 98, so have done that, and now it’s better.

On my new desktop and laptop, I’ve got to reluctantly admit that have had no crashes at all, not one “blue screen of death” and that it is indeed more stabile. My other laptop is dual boot, with 98Se and 2000 (Japanese version for my wife).

However, far too many changes were made for no reason at all other than to reinvent the wheel, IMHO.

In lukewarm defense of MS, now the vast majority of computer users are not computer phreaks, but just people who want it as a tool, so GUIs, cutsey little things (how I hate “My Computer” so changed its name) and things to make it easy are what they are selling.

My advice: stick to 98SE until you absolutely have to upgrade to make some new programs work, or have to buy a new computer where it is impossible to get it with 98.

I can run MVS 3.8 under the Hercules emulator in Windows. That was IBM’s main OS circa 1980.

I’ve never had the spare hardware to try it, but I’ve read about the Contiki browser before.

Thanks for taking the time for such a complete answer. I really appreciate it! I went through the XP compatibility program and while there’s nothing glaring from a hardware standpoint, I can’t believe they think I may have a problem with my HP OfficeJet G55. I mean, it only took me about 4 years to get it working properly in the first place :rolleyes:

I really do need to sit down with someone though, and figure out what the real problems are going to be, because I really don’t handle computer problems well. Hey, if I had my way, I’d still be using DOS :slight_smile: