How many people want a receipt from fast food or convenience store?

Why not, if you would use a debit card? I can see only using cash for amounts that small, but if you’re going to use plastic, I don’t see why debit would be preferable.

Because that’s what we do and I’m not interested in arguing about it. My point was, that is why I always get a receipt. I wasn’t asking for an analysis of credit vs debit card use.

Wasn’t an argument, just wondering if there was a reason I was unaware of.

I’m in the second group. After an almost 40-year career as a government finance officer, I have long used double-entry bookkeeping for all my personal finances and want to be able to accurately account for my personal assets, liabilities, revenues, and expenses to the penny. I usually check my accounts online a couple of times a week, and shred my receipts (except for large purchases) after reconciling to my monthly account statements.

I always got the receipt emailed to me at a certain big box sporting goods store. They already have my email because I’m in the loyalty program.

First time I go in there with my wife she tells me I should get a printed receipt. I don’t. Loss Prevention goon asks me for my receipt at the door. Doesn’t seem to have any idea that they email receipts. Email receipt takes a good 5 minutes to get into my email. This is the store system problem, not mine. McDonalds receipts get there within a few seconds.

That was in 2019. My wife is still pissed at me.

I’ll add another reason why someone on an expense account might eat at a fast food restaurant and want a receipt: maybe the fast food restaurant is close by and you really don’t feel like driving around in a strange city to find a nice place to eat.

Years ago I made business trips all over the country, staying in mid-range hotels for just one night so that I could have a single meeting and leave again. As a young, slight female on my own in strange cities, I didn’t want to tempt fate. Wherever I could eat that was close by my hotel/the office where my meeting was held was just fine.

Tangent: As late as the 1980s, when I would have thought America would be a bit less sexist, I used to get weird looks for dining alone. I remember one server who was practically incapacitated by the notion that I didn’t have anyone with me. When I said “a table for one” he seemed sure I had cooties.

Receipts? I shall vent about Dollar Tree. They recently added a “feature” where the customer is supposed to touch a screen to say whether he wants a receipt or not.

People have to be prompted every time to make their choice- and I mean EVERY time. I know it’s there, and I still have to be prompted!

I know it’s supposed to save money on receipts, but all it seems to do is slow down the lines!

If they ask I usually say I don’t need a receipt because unless it’s something I might end up returning they just go straight into the trash.
I just wish there was an option to not get a receipt at CVS. Talk about a waste of paper.

The best part about shopping at CVS is holding the end of the receipt at top-of-head level and seeing whether it dangles down to your knees, ankles, or the floor. Having bought just a couple items. They lurves them some coupons! Not that it works for me; they expire long before I get back to CVS.

My favorite part of shopping at CVS is the flimsy transparent bags. Yes, i do want everyone to see that I bought hemorrhoid cream, thanks!

Not such a big deal in the suburbs, where it’s a short walk to the car, but I’ve felt weird walking into the office after doing a spot of shopping on my lunch break.

I often do not mind not getting a receipt for a small transaction. But although I recognize some value, I hate when greenwashing is used as an excuse not to supply stuff they should supply. We have stopped providing receipts due to our strong environmental advocacy. Admittedly, have not seen this for receipts but it’s a matter of time. Others might disagree.

In particular, I hate paying a fortune for medical conferences and not being given a copy of the notes. (Online is not the same for me. Paper copies much preferred but even a digital copy is something.)

I generally like them. If my order turns out to be wrong, it’s nice to have evidence that either they were the dumbfucks who weren’t paying attention or I was the space cadet who forgot to specify what I wanted in the first place.

Wrap it up, mummy-style, in the receipt. :wink:

I’ve always thought receipts are more for the store’s sake. Way back when I worked in a convenience store in West Texas, a major source of staff pilferage was just pretending to ring stuff up for real and pocketing the money. (No, I did not do that myself, but it was a real problem.) Then electronic cash registers became common, and suddenly signs started to pop up everywhere urging customers to ask for their receipt if they did not get one. If you have to provide a receipt, that makes it difficult to pretend to rung stuff up.

The “Pickles” comic strip featured one of the elderly couple doing exactly that.

That has happened a lot to me, especially the places with multiple drive throughs. And for several years most fast food places could not manage to make a plain hamburger for my daughter. So it helped when I inevitably had to return to show them I ordered a “plain hamburger with ketchup” and not a hamburger with processed cheese product glued to beef and bun with mayo and onions and whatever. OR the other way around, if they rang up the wrong thing.