How many stamps to mail letter from US to UK?

If sending heavier items abroad (such as books) then “surface mail” is a cheaper option. Of course airmail will only take a week at the outside, while surface mail can take up to 56 days.

As an example, a 1.5 kg book from the UK to the USA would cost £16.25 by airmail but only £8.46 by surface mail, both at “printed paper” rate.

As I mentioned just above, the problem charities in the USA are facing, and others in similar situations, is that the US post office no longer provides the service of surface mail at all for international mail.

Ed

That’s strange, because the Royal Mail still offers this facility. There must be boats that still carry mail to the US, so why can’t the US Post Office use them in the reverse direction?

Not sure. It is a policy decision. I guess they can’ t be bothered, although it certainly creates a bother for customers who would like to ship by surface mail. It is a darn sight more expensive to mail bigger packets that you don’t care how long it takes.

The stamps intended for overseas mails are pretty and big and show an American vista. They’re ideal for sending to a foreigner who likes stamps. Much better than some Liberty Bells.

Regrettably, my post office never has the larger denom stamps. They’d much rather print up labels.