How many U.S. states are in two pieces?

Wasn’t Pocahontas involved in the etymology of naming Assawoman Sound?

(Pokerinthis, Pocahontis: whatever)

Yeah, I’m surprised the original poster didn’t list the most obvious one himself.

:wink:

:slight_smile:

BTW, note that what the OP is looking for may not be exclaves, depending on your definition. Some definitions simply say “not physically contiguous”, as in the Wiki article, while some say “not connected by land”. Things like Point Roberts and the NW Angle are not exclaves by the first definition, as the political boundaries of WA and MN are drawn over the water so as to include them as contiguous parts of the state. Note that the Wiki article calls such things “practical exclaves” or “pene exclaves”, and separates them that way in their list, which includes Point Roberts and the NW Angle:

Conversely, some of these things involving separation by rivers are actually exclaves, given that the border is in the middle of the river, as is usually (though not always) the practice. The OP specifically ruled those out, though.

For those interested in why these exclaves exist in the first place I can recommend “How the States got their Shapes

Bolding mine.

As far as I can tell, your list is complete except for Sitka and Wrangell Alaska, which are both combined city and borough municipalities.

Trivia classic
There is a small section of New York County that is located on the “mainland” in the Bronx, therefore New York County is not located entirely on an island.

What do you mean by Northern Michigan?

To be more complete, Maui County consists of four different large islands (not including the part of Molokai that comprises Kalawao County), and Ni’ihau is part of Kauai County, but is a separate island.

I would imagine the Upper Peninsula, as mentioned in the OP.

YES, you are correct. However, if you were from Michigan you would know that the people in the northern part of lower Michigan consider that they live in “northern Michigan”. This is a sore spot with Michiganians.

Also, Michigan is divided into three parts. Check out a map and zoom into the Houghton-Hancock area. You’ll see that the Keweenaw Peninsula is divided into two by the Portage Shipping Canal.

Native Yooper and Keweenaw Peninsulite.

Not sure if this fits in, but while the core of Elllis Island is in the state of New York, that core section is entirely surrounded by New Jersey land: GIS and Coastal Boundary Disputes: Where is Ellis Island?

Yep. Eight large islands, five counties:

Hawaii County: Hawaii (the Big) Island

Honolulu County: Oahu island, and the islets northeast of Niihau extending out towards Midway

Kalawao County: a small peninsula on Molokai, site of the leper settlements. Legally a distinct county, but administered by Maui County.

Kauai County: Kauai and Niihau islands

Maui County: Maui, Molokai (except that peninsula), Lanai, and Kahoolawe islands

Yes, whenever he farts. (Sorry 'bout that)

I thought Michigan residents were properly called Michiganders. Or is this one of those things where popular usage has left the dictionaries behind?