How much do orthotics cost?

I decided to try the Soles, based on your recommendation. My plantars has been really flaring up lately. While I love Keen shoes and recommend them to people with plantars, the inserts wear out quickly and the pain returns. The Soles seem to be working out so far, but it’s only been a couple of days so it’s too early yet.

When I got my orthotics (and that’s what both the doctor and the maker called them), he initially wanted to charge about $400. I explained that my insurance wouldn’t cover much of it, and he knocked the price down to $200.

I know many people consider chiropodists and related practitioners to be pseudoscientific quacks. But after years of pain and trying different types of shoes and Dr. Scholl’s, my experience was that orthotics were a life saver. Best money I ever spent.

It’s definitely not the weight – I’m about 5’7 and weigh about 120 lbs. I can’t get that much skinnier. But I’ve always had weak ankles, and now with the neuroma, ganglion, and hammertoes, I think its a certainty that my feet are just crap. And I’m 25, so its not like I’m ancient and these problems built up over time.

Over the counter orthotics are a hit or miss situation. My podiatrist got me into a set of custom orthotics for $170. Best thing ever for my plantar fasciitis.

400 is pretty routine (I think “rack rate” for mine is in that range, maybe a bit higher - DC metro area so Queens prices would be similar).

Do look into shoes that provide support, and plenty of room for the tootsies. I haven’t tried Dansko but I do like Birkenstocks; the podiatrist recommended them as being good for plantar fasciitis and neuroma.

What I’ve found they’re NOT good for, sometimes, is that I’ve developed bunionettes (like a regular big-toe bunion, only on the pinky-toe joint). Summer 2009 I had a lot of pain when wearing my Birks. Less so this past summer but I wore other types of sandals as well.

Of course such shoes aren’t cheap either (100+ bucks) but certainly that’s less than 400.

There are a variety of things that can contribute, including flat feet, high arches, sudden weight gain, sudden increase in exercise, etc.

My daughter’s AFOs cost 1500/pair.

They have to be custom made. Don’t know if that’s what you need.

Cool! I do hope they help.

I will also reiterate the recommendations to engage in regular stretching and muscle conditioning exercises if you have foot-related pain or disfunction.

I’ve been dealing with this for about ten years off and on. Sometimes it just flares up, regardless of stretches. It’s worse if I have to stand around (as when shopping) for extended periods.

Ooo, you have my sympathy for weak ankles. No fun at all :(.

Brown Eyed Girl, just to reiterate, you found the Soles had higher arches than the berry superfeet, right? Have you tried any of the other Sole insoles, and what type of shoes do you use the Dean ones in (sneakers, work, etc). ((For anyone else interested, there are a ton of Amazon reviews for various Soles)).

I am the same height and weight as you but am more than twice your age, and like you I just kind of have crappy feet–I never got into high heels at all–I’m an old hippie–and have been wearing shoes with wide toe boxes all my life.
But my foot problem is bunions.
The custom-made orthotics that I got ten years ago ($300 with insurance) really, really helped me. Yes at first they sort of hurt, but that was the correction they were providing.
I completely wore them out a couple years ago.
My new insurance will not pay for orthotics, so I got some insole thingies at the podiatrist’s, it looks like they resemble Superfeet.

Yes, that is correct. I haven’t measured the arch, and I don’t have any specs, but the Soles do *feel *higher.

I have tried the Ed Viesturs Soles and the Dean Karnazes Soles. The Viesturs are very thick and are intended to be used in hiking boots. They can also be used in very high volume shoes, in order to achieve a more snug fit. Say, a casual boot that is too roomy. The Karnazes insoles are not quite as thick as the Viesturs, but they have some cushion in them and are designed for athletic activities in which foot flexibility and shock absorption is important. The grey Slim Series is even thinner and is appropriate for casual and very low volume shoes in which too much insole height will make the shoes too tight for comfort.

You can use the Karnazes or Viesturs ones in casual shoes as well, if that’s what you prefer, as long as they don’t crowd your feet. There are no rules for which one has to go in what type of shoe, other than picking the one that feels most comfortable and still allows your foot to fit in the shoe. (I know that doesn’t help if you’re ordering them online.)

If you have an REI nearby, you can try them out in the store. Bring your favorite shoes and walk around the store with the insoles in them to see how they feel.

Ah well, IANAP, but it sounds like fatigue to me. Better muscle conditioning leads to reduced fatigue, so I’d say it certainly doesn’t hurt to keep up your exercises. But of course, if the orthotics help, no need fixing what ain’t broke. :slight_smile:

Standing around on concrete for extended periods of time is brutal on anyone. It’s why I will only work in Chacos, Danskos, my hiking boots, or very good trail runner with medial posting. This is despite the fact that I comfortably run in FiveFingers and I have neutral arches with very mild pronation.

Ahh thank you. I’ll go to my REI and try out all the Soles they have, and bring along the three pairs of shoes I need insoles in (anne klein loafers, topsiders, and gym sneakers). Sounds like I’ll need two of the slim dress shoe ones and one of the Karnazes.

$400 is a lot of money for orthotics. You can find custom orthotics online here starting at $89.

Since this zombie got resurrected, I’ll add a bit of new information that may be useful for those contemplating arch support.

After over a year of regular use of the Vibram FiveFingers (I now have 3 pair and wear them at least 80% of my walking moments), I have found that I am willing and able to wear VFFs while standing on concrete for extended periods of time without experiencing fatigue or discomfort. I never thought I’d say it, but it is quite possible to condition the body to accept little to no support regardless of what material someone walks/stands on. Actually, these days, I find my Chacos make my feet sore after only a few hours and I rarely wear my Danskos at all. Shame, too, because I really like the Chacos and I have 3 pair of those, too. :frowning:

But I’m thrilled to have achieved a level of conditioning that makes me unreliant on any type of external arch support, despite the fact that I work on my feet.