How much do you drink?

Not none, but maybe once a month, if that.

Ditto. Back when I was a drinker, something like 30 drinks a week. And that’s before things spiraled out of control. Four drinks in a session might get me mildly buzzed, or even just feeling “normal.”

Eh, we can make big polls these days. How about this one:

Same definition of a drink as above. How often/much do you drink?

• Never
  • Less than once a week
  • 1-2 per week
  • 3-6 per week
  • Daily, but rarely more than one per day
  • Daily, 1-2 per day
  • Daily, 3-4 per day
  • Daily, 5+ per day
  • Not daily, 7-14 per week
  • Not daily, 15+ per week
  • In addition to the above, I sometimes binge 4+ at a time

0 voters

Last time I consumed ethanol was in 1986, and it was laudenum, which is opium dissolved in ethanol. Last regular alcoholic drink was 1984, a glass of wine.

After that laudenum, I could read the writing on the floor.

I said more or less the same in the Discussion for the Polls only thread, but in the average month, 2-4 drinks. Maybe on my ‘Friday’, or if I have a very stressful day, I’ll have 1 or two drinks which is what makes up that total.

When I have out of town guests, I drink less than they and my wife do, as I’m the driver, because I don’t care for most booze, but I’ll still drink more together when we’re home. So in a recent 4 day weekend with guests, I probably had 4-5 drinks total, never more than 2 in a day. So as the prior poll, I just averaged it out to 1-2 drinks per week.

“Not daily, 7-14 per week” is about the closest approximation.

Where I live, good beer is an affordable local product and pub-going is a normal means of socialization. I am typically in the pub let’s say 2-4 days a week, spending the most time there on Tuesdays, when a group of my friends have a meetup there. It’s a pub for night owls, which I am very much, and I stay even after they leave (the pub closes at 1 AM). I then walk part of the way home and catch a night tram. I’ve been doing it for years, I find this little exercise a good way to let off steam. I may also have a beer with lunch in a restaurant.

I don’t drink much of anything other than beer. I will take hard alcohol when someone orders a round of shots, and I will drink grog when I have a cold (or take a bit of grog / rum at a campsite when there with friends), but don’t consume hard alcohol as a matter of course. I will from time to time indulge in a cocktail, most often a Bloody Mary. In fact, the owner of my go-to pub keeps tomato juice on hand just for me and one other guy who likes it.

During the two COVID lockdowns, my formerly moderate beer belly grew significantly, as a result of drinking bottled beer at home. Since then, I have broken this habit and no longer drink beer at home. I designate certain days as alcohol-free.

It all depends on what sports events are on. If ANYthing is on, I trudge down to the local pub and have a local beer or whatever bourbon the bartender’s fond of.

But now, between NCAA and NFL, I’m staying home with only an occasional wine with dinner. Maybe a sip of Finnerty’s Cask Strength on the rocks, or an Old Fashioned in the evening (maybe thrice a week).

We generally have a 16 liter box of wine in our house. I maybe have one or two drinks a week from it: more in the summer (when I mix it with juice to make quasi-sangria) and less in the winter.

Glass of wine or beer with dinner most days. I like the taste. Nothing fancy, my normal beer is Yuengling.

I have a personal guideline to not drink on consecutive days. I also rarely have more than one. Theoretically, those rules keep me at 3.5 a week. But lots of nights I skip, but on occasion i might have two, or drink a second night in a row if I go to hh.

I suspect it averages to 2-3 a week.

Another 1-2 month, maybe 1-3, on average. There is no real rhyme or reason to it. I don’t avoid booze, I like it okay and there is always some around the house. I just don’t hit it often.

Not never, technically, but in the last 5 years I’ve had 3 drinks total on two seperate occasions. In the last 10 years I’ve had maybe 10 drinks.

Not much a drinker, obviously.

NIAAA defines binge drinking as a pattern of drinking alcohol that brings blood alcohol concentration (BAC) to 0.08 percent - or 0.08 grams of alcohol per deciliter - or higher . For a typical adult, this pattern corresponds to consuming 5 or more drinks (male), or 4 or more drinks (female), in about 2 hours.

National Institutes of Health for a definition.

In order to feel the affects of alcohol according to these people that person ‘binged’?

Nope. Perhaps it is because I am from Wisconsin, but that is absurd. Saw my neighbor pick up a 12 pack of Natty Ice so he is definitely an alcoholic.

On a think points well made, and there may even be a difference in how other health related behaviors correlate too. Zero may be for past history reason, medical, addiction, or religious. Not controlling for that was a reason for past results favoring moderate drinking as healthier. That is different than rarely. My apologies for not thinking of that.

Almost zero Monday to Friday. Saturdays (and sometimes Sundays) in the summer could be 10-12+ over the course of 8 hours. My social group is adults in their 50s and 60s. Lots of Irish immigrants :grin:. I live in a summer resort kind of area and out local private club (walking/biking distance) has an outdoor bar on the bay. Best sunsets around. What can I say? We like to party. Probably, too much so but most of us are healthy and otherwise responsible.

If i haven’t had any alcohol in a couple of months, i “feel the effects of alcohol” from one drink. Often well before i finish that one drink.

If I’ve had alcohol in the past couple of weeks my tolerance is higher. I was pleasantly surprised that i got through the first two (small) glasses of wine last night* on an empty stomach without feeling it.

But I’ll still feel it if i have two drinks. I weigh 180, I’m not some tiny thing.

*Last night was the Seder. Part of the ritual is to drink 4 glasses of wine. Our glasses are a lot smaller than 5 oz, and we serve grape juice as well as wine. Grape juice is ritually equivalent to wine, and my husband is a teetotaler. In fact, last night, most of the table choose juice. But my first three glasses were wine, two before the meal, and one of the two after.

4 in one session as the bar for getting drunk? What? 4 spaced out in an evening and the average person would still be legal to drive.

8-14/day

Probably the equivalent of twelve drinks per year or less.
Edited to add- I got to thinking and read the date on the bottom of a can of beer in my fridge. It says Nov 8 21.
It still tastes fine!

I have to admit that I am surprised by how little the respondents here, in CS, where we have multiple threads and various sorts of alcoholic beverages, drink. I’m in the modest consumption camp myself, drinking little, but generally drinking well. But I expected more who have a glass or two most nights.